Roger Federer may miss Australian Open to continue recovery from knee surgery
Roger Federer has cast serious doubt on his participation at the Australian Open as he continues to recover from knee surgery.
The 20-time grand-slam champion has not played since losing to Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals in Melbourne in January and called time on his 2020 season in June after a second operation on his right knee.
He had hoped to return to the tour at the start of next season but progress has been slow and the 39-year-old admitted he is now in a race against time.
The expected three-week delay to the year’s first grand slam until February 8 is a factor in his favour but travelling to Australia means committing to a two-week quarantine period.
Speaking at the Swiss Sports Awards, where he was named the best athlete from his country since 1950, Federer said being fit in time for Wimbledon is his priority.
In comments reported by tagesanzeiger.ch, the world number five said: “I would love to be in Australia. But I’m very close with my knee.
“After the second operation I said to myself: ‘I want to take my time. I don’t want to take the next step until I’m ready’. These three weeks might help me a bit. The summer with Wimbledon, the Olympic Games and the US Open is my priority.”
Federer made a triumphant return to Melbourne in 2017 following surgery on his left knee, winning his first grand-slam title since 2012, and there had been hopes of a similar renaissance this time around.
But the tone is very different and Federer, who will turn 40 in August, floated the idea that he may not return at all.
“I hope there is still something to see from me in the new year,” he said. “We will see. But, if that was it, it would have been an incredible end to these sports awards for me.”
Confirmation of the Australian Open’s change of date and rejigged schedules for the ATP and WTA Tours are expected imminently.
Boris Becker on what happens next for Alexander Zverev after a turbulent 2020
German legend Boris Becker is backing Alexander Zverev to win his first Grand Slam title in 2021.
Dominic Thiem dismisses calls for the Australian Open to be cancelled
US Open champion Dominic Thiem insists next month’s Australian Open should go ahead despite players being in quarantine.
Timeline of Andy Murray’s injury nightmare as he pulls out of Australian Open
Andy Murray is out of next month’s Australian Open here we look at the timeline of Murray’s injury troubles since 2017.
Andy Murray ‘gutted’ as he shelves plans to play at Australian Open
Murray has been unable to solve a quarantine conundrum.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal learn their fate in ATP Cup draw
Serbia will begin…
‘Really unjustified’ – Boris Becker leaps to Novak Djokovic’s defence over his quarantine pleas
Boris Becker believes world No.1 Novak Djokovic has come in for unfair criticism after writing a letter to Australian Open chiefs.
Umpire suffers heart attack as another Australian Open player tests positive for Covid-19
Spanish player Paula Badosa has announced she has tested positive for coronavirus during quarantine in Australia.
Laura Robson unsure about tennis future after third hip operation
The 27-year-old said her priority now is to live a pain-free life.
Andy Murray believes he can still play at the Australian Open as he plots return to action
Former world No.1 Andy Murray is still hopeful of playing in next month’s Australian Open.
Players are urged not to feed the mice in their hotel rooms as Heather Watson turns to Tik Tok
Britain’s Heather Watson has turned to Tik…