Roger Federer set for March return in Doha after recovering from knee injury
Roger Federer has confirmed he will make his return to competitive tennis at the ATP 250 tournament in Doha in March after a 13-month absence.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion, who has not played a match since losing to Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals of the 2020 Australian Open, announced at the end of last year that he would not participate in Melbourne this year as he continues his recovery from knee surgery.
In an interview with Swiss broadcaster SRF, Federer said: “I thought for a long time when and where I should come back. Australia was still a bit too early because of my knee.”
He expressed his sadness at having to miss the event for the first time in his career.
“It hurts,” he said. “It’s one of the places where I like to play.”
The 39-year-old Basel-born player underwent two operations on his right knee last year, the second one in June, and his progress since has been slower than he had hoped.
Federer is a six-time champion in Melbourne and made a spectacular return from surgery on his left knee by winning his first major title for four and a half years in 2017.
On why he chose the Qatar ExxonMobil Open, which gets under way on March 8, for his return, he said: “I wanted to make my comeback at a smaller tournament, where the stress is also a little less.”
And he remains hopeful of adding to his major titles haul, adding: “I want to celebrate big victories once again. And for that I am ready to go the long, hard way.”
Rafael Nadal vows he will continue to play tennis as long as he is ‘health and able to compete’
Rafael Nadal on retirement.
Tim Henman says ‘mesmerising’ Roger Federer ‘won’t just make up the numbers’ upon his return
Tim Henman on Roger Federer’s comeback.
Andrey Rublev expects ‘fun’ match against ‘true legend’ Andy Murray as Scot praises Russian’s work ethic
Andrey Rublev and Andy Murray sing each other’s praises.
Stefanos Tsitsipas explains how change in mindset helped him to turn things around in Rotterdam opener
Stefanos Tsitsipas shows some fight in Rotterdam win.
Andy Murray set for Rotterdam second-round clash with world No 8 Andrey Rublev
Murray and Rublev’s only other meeting was in 2017.
Novak Djokovic unlikely to return to action before clay season as there ‘is no need to take any risks’
Novak Djokovic unlikely to feature at the Miami Open.
Tennis Top 10
Top 10 oldest No 1 ATP players: Novak Djokovic now the second oldest No 1, but will he catch Roger Federer?
Roger Federer currently holds the record.
Goran Ivanisevic slams media for ‘thrashing’ Novak Djokovic, rating 2021 Australian Open as his ‘sweetest’
Goran Ivanisevic takes aim at the media.
Ashleigh Barty pulls out of Dubai tournament, but hopes to defend Miami Open title
Ashleigh Barty won’t be travelling to the Middle East.
Roger Federer to skip Miami Open as he opts to ‘slowly work his way back’ following injury
Roger Federer won’t feature at the Miami Open.