Roger Federer to miss Australian Open as he continues recovery from knee surgery
Roger Federer will miss the Australian Open for the first time in his career as he continues his recovery from knee surgery.
The 20-time grand slam champion has undergone two operations on his right knee in 2020, the second one in June, and his progress since has been slower than he had hoped.
In a statement, tournament director Craig Tiley said: “In the end Roger ran out of time to get himself ready for the rigours of a grand slam and he’s very disappointed he won’t be coming to Melbourne in 2021.
“The Australian Open has always held a special place in his heart – remember it was Roger who first called the AO the ‘happy slam’.
“We wish him all the best as he prepares for his comeback later in the year and look forward to seeing him in Melbourne in 2022.”
At 39, it is no surprise that Federer’s body is proving slow to heal and he paved the way for this announcement earlier this month.
It had been hoped the pushing back of the Australian Open by three weeks to February 8 because of coronavirus restrictions would give Federer enough time but, speaking at the Swiss Sports Awards, he said: “I would love to be in Australia. But I’m very close with my knee.
“After the second operation I said to myself: ‘I want to take my time. I don’t want to take the next step until I’m ready’. The summer with Wimbledon, the Olympic Games and the US Open is my priority.”
Federer is a six-time champion in Melbourne and made a spectacular return from surgery on his left knee by winning his first grand slam title for four-and-a-half years in 2017.
He retained his title the following year and this will be the first time his name will be absent from the main draw since 1999.
This announcement will inevitably increase talk about how close Federer, who has not played a match since losing to Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals in Melbourne in January, is to the end of his glittering career.
Wimbledon appears to be his best, and perhaps only, chance of winning a 21st grand slam title and there is no doubt he will hope to be competing at the All England Club come June.
Boris Becker on what happens next for Alexander Zverev after a turbulent 2020
German legend Boris Becker is backing Alexander Zverev to win his first Grand Slam title in 2021.
Dominic Thiem dismisses calls for the Australian Open to be cancelled
US Open champion Dominic Thiem insists next month’s Australian Open should go ahead despite players being in quarantine.
Timeline of Andy Murray’s injury nightmare as he pulls out of Australian Open
Andy Murray is out of next month’s Australian Open here we look at the timeline of Murray’s injury troubles since 2017.
Andy Murray ‘gutted’ as he shelves plans to play at Australian Open
Murray has been unable to solve a quarantine conundrum.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal learn their fate in ATP Cup draw
Serbia will begin…
‘Really unjustified’ – Boris Becker leaps to Novak Djokovic’s defence over his quarantine pleas
Boris Becker believes world No.1 Novak Djokovic has come in for unfair criticism after writing a letter to Australian Open chiefs.
Umpire suffers heart attack as another Australian Open player tests positive for Covid-19
Spanish player Paula Badosa has announced she has tested positive for coronavirus during quarantine in Australia.
Laura Robson unsure about tennis future after third hip operation
The 27-year-old said her priority now is to live a pain-free life.
Andy Murray believes he can still play at the Australian Open as he plots return to action
Former world No.1 Andy Murray is still hopeful of playing in next month’s Australian Open.
Players are urged not to feed the mice in their hotel rooms as Heather Watson turns to Tik Tok
Britain’s Heather Watson has turned to Tik…