Teenage sensation Coco Gauff dumps ninth seed Johanna Konta out of French Open
Johanna Konta completed a miserable day for Britain’s leading names by losing to 16-year-old Coco Gauff in the opening round of the French Open.
After Dan Evans’ battling five-set defeat by Kei Nishikori and Andy Murray’s far less competitive battering by Stan Wawrinka, ninth seed Konta put in an error-strewn display in going down 6-3, 6-3 to the American teenager.
Gauff has already shown herself to be extremely mentally tough and tactically astute and it was she who played like the veteran in finding her best at the important moments and drawing errors from the Konta racket.
There were 41 in total from the British No 1, who showed once again that, if her A game is not working, she simply cannot find another path.
Cold, blustery conditions admittedly did not help and Konta, a semi-finalist at Roland Garros last year, was wayward from the start as Gauff strode into a 3-0 lead.
Konta still had her chances, largely thanks to a plethora of double faults from Gauff. It is a clear weakness in the teenager’s game but, on the points that really mattered, she found the service box.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) September 27, 2020
The Briton was unable to take any of her five break points, with a frustrated Gauff saying “finally” after winning a long game to clinch the opening set.
Konta made a strong start to the second set with a break for 2-0 but let her advantage slip away straight away and Gauff made her pay with a run of five games in a row.
More double faults surfaced as she tried to serve it out. But, although Konta retrieved one of the breaks, she could not hold her own serve, a tame backhand into the net sealing her fate.
‘Really unjustified’ – Boris Becker leaps to Novak Djokovic’s defence over his quarantine pleas
Boris Becker believes world No.1 Novak Djokovic has come in for unfair criticism after writing a letter to Australian Open chiefs.
Umpire suffers heart attack as another Australian Open player tests positive for Covid-19
Spanish player Paula Badosa has announced she has tested positive for coronavirus during quarantine in Australia.
Laura Robson unsure about tennis future after third hip operation
The 27-year-old said her priority now is to live a pain-free life.
Andy Murray believes he can still play at the Australian Open as he plots return to action
Former world No.1 Andy Murray is still hopeful of playing in next month’s Australian Open.
Players are urged not to feed the mice in their hotel rooms as Heather Watson turns to Tik Tok
Britain’s Heather Watson has turned to Tik…
On this day in 2014: Stan Wawrinka ends Novak Djokovic’s Australian Open run
The Swiss won a five-set epic to deny Djokovic a piece of history.
Novak Djokovic hits back at allegations of being ‘selfish, difficult and ungrateful’
Djokovic says he finds it tough to be ‘a mere onlooker’.
Australian Open boss defends ‘better deal’ for the likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams
Big-name players self-isolating in Adelaide.
Rotterdam Open boss reveals delight as ‘one of his all-time favourite players’ Rafael Nadal joins field
Rafael Nadal will return to Rotterdam.
Roberto Bautista Agut says quotes comparing quarantine to ‘jail, but with WiFi’ was ‘taken out of context’
Roberto Bautista Agut issues an apology.