Wimbledon organisers make official hotels mandatory for players
The All England Club has confirmed that staying in official hotels will be a “mandatory requirement” for all players competing at this year’s Wimbledon Championships.
Tournament chiefs are determined to minimise the risks to the event, which was cancelled last year for the first time since World War Two due to the onset of the coronavirus pandemic.
But the stipulation is unlikely to go down well with some leading players, who traditionally book out private houses in south-west London for the duration of the event.
The All England Club said in a statement: “In line with UK government and public health guidance, we are putting in place a variety of infection control measures in line with our aspiration to stage a safe, best practice and trusted event in 2021.
“One of the priority measures is to create a minimised risk environment for the players. As such, based on current guidance, there will be official hotels for all players, their support teams, and key groups such as officials, which will be a mandatory requirement for entry into this year’s Championships.”
Wimbledon is scheduled to start on June 28, one week after the government is planning to lift all legal restrictions on social-distancing as part of its ‘roadmap’ out of the pandemic.
But any decision on potential spectator capacity for the Championships will depend upon confirmation of the government’s position at the time of the start of the event.
This year’s Australian Open took place amid tight restrictions in Melbourne, with 72 players forced to undertake strict two-week quarantines in their hotel rooms after arriving in the country.
The move incurred the wrath of world number one Novak Djokovic, who despite not being one of the players subjected to hard quarantine, argued players should be allowed to stay and train in private houses.
Venus Williams explains backstory behind photo with Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova at Met Gala
Just Venus, Serena and Maria enjoying a laugh in the bathroom at the Met Gala.
‘I think it’s gradually sinking in a bit more,’ says Emma Raducanu after ‘whirlwind experience’
The teenager took part in a round of breakfast TV and radio interviews.
‘People are talking about tennis again,’ revels Boris Becker after ‘Dame Emma Raducanu’s’ heroics
Boris Becker waxes lyrical about Emma Raducanu.
Tennis to introduce ‘Stefanos Tsitsipas bathroom break rule’ following Greek’s lengthy loo visits?
Stricter rules on the cards following furore over Stefanos Tsitsipas’ loo breaks.
LTA chief insists Emma Raducanu will not lose focus after stunning rise to the top
Lloyd has called for the newly-crowned US Open champion to be given “breathing space”.
Emma Raducanu delighted to return back in the UK and reunite with her father
Raducanu was pictured outside her house after travelling back from New York.
Introducing Wilson’s Blade v8 racket Emma Raducanu could use at the Australian Open
Emma Raducanu is set to be wielding a new-look weapon when he plays at the Australian Open in January.
Shock defeat for Andy Murray as he is beaten in Rennes
The Russian is ranked 42 places below Murray.
John McEnroe speaks for the first time about comments over Emma Raducanu’s Wimbledon exit
John McEnroe has insisted he has no regrets over his Emma Raducanu comments.
Stunning TV figures for US Open finals confirm appeal of Emma Raducanu
TV viewing figures confirm that more tuned in to watch the US Open women’s final than the men’s final.