STATS: The incredible numbers behind Kevin Anderson and John Isner’s Wimbledon epic
Kevin Anderson’s Wimbledon epic with John Isner was remarkable, but just how remarkable?
1. At 6hrs and 36 minutes, it was the second longest match in not only Wimbledon history, but Grand Slam history.
To put that into context, Serena Williams has spent a total of just 8hrs 18 minutes on court over the course of her six matches at Wimbledon so far.
2. At a combined 409cm (Anderson 202cm, Isner 207cm) it was the tallest Wimbledon semi-final in history.
3. Until the eighth game of the third set when he eventually cracked, John Isner had served 110 successive games without being broken.
4. Despite the match lasting 396 minutes, they shared just 30 rallies of nine shots or more – that’s one every 13.2 minutes.
5. A total of 569 points were played in the match, with Anderson winning 298 (52%) of them and Isner 271.
That means that after over six hours of play and nearly 600 points, all that seperated the players were 27 points.
6. of the 569 points that were played, 102 of them were aces. That’s a staggering 18% – nearly one in every five points.
7. Even more impressive than the number of aces between them was the number of double faults compared to it – just 10 across the entire match.
8. Each player served a total of 48 service games in the match, 42 of which were held.
9. The difference on the day was actually unforced errors rather than anything either player did to actually win the match.
Anderson’s statistics of 49 aces and 118 winners are colossal, but Isner’s (53 aces, 129 winners) are even better.
10. Kevin Anderson has become the first South African man to reach the Wimbledon final in 97 years.
Brian Norton was the last in 1921. He lost the final.
Daniil Medvedev is last man standing in London as he beats Dominic Thiem to win 2020 ATP Finals
Medvedev came from a set down to defeat Thiem.
End of Big Three era? A look at state of men’s game after Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal’s ATP Finals exit
Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic have dominated the men’s game.
Dominic Thiem on expanding Andy Murray’s one-man club against the Big Three: ‘It’s super special’
A milestone win for Dominic Thiem.
Australian Open dates to be set ‘as soon as possible’ amid Covid uncertainty
Tennis Australia’s Craig Tiley ‘confident we will have decisions soon’.
Daniil Medvedev on Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal getting beaten at ATP Finals: ‘It’s super for tennis’
Big Two beaten twice at London’s O2 Arena.
Tennis Australia hopes to confirm dates for 2021 Australian Open and summer of tennis ‘soon’ – statement
Wait continues for confirmation about 2021 Aus Open.
Rafael Nadal rejects suggestions he cracked under pressure against Daniil Medvedev: ‘I don’t feel that way’
“I feel I played a bad game,” says Nadal.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal both fall at semi-final stage in London
Big two bombs out at The O2 Arena.
Rafael Nadal’s dream of a first ATP Finals title evaporates as Daniil Medvedev blows him away in London
Nadal served for the match in the second set.
Australian Open set to be moved amid fears players will not travel due to Covid restrictions – reports
Australian Open chiefs look set to make a bold move.