Alexander Zverev confirms he will become a father and denies domestic abuse allegations
Alexander Zverev has taken to social media to respond to allegations made by two of his former girlfriends over the past few days.
The world No 7 hit the headlines for the wrong reasons earlier this week after his most recent ex-girlfriend Brenda Patea told German media that she is expecting their child, but added that she didn’t want to share custody with him.
Then less than 24 hours later another former girlfriend in Olga Sharypova accused him of domestic violence.
The US Open runner-up confirmed on Twitter that Patea is pregnant with their child, but insisted he will be involved in the upbringing of the child.
— Alexander Zverev (@AlexZverev) October 29, 2020
“The last days were quite challenging for me. I will be a father at age 23 and I am very much looking forward to the child,” he wrote.
“Even though Brenda and I are no longer together we have a good relationship and I will live up to my responsibility as a father. Together we will take care of the little person that is about to grow.
“But I don’t want to say more in public about this private subject. I am sure that Brenda and I can manage it without the media involved.”
Zverev also addressed the allegations by Sharypova, who accused him of trying to strangle her with a pillow during the 2019 US Open.
Sharypova initially wrote about the accusations on Instagram, but later told Russia’s Championat: “I wrote on Instagram that he tried to strangle me with a pillow, twisted his arms.
“I tried to run out of the room several times, but he would not let me. I was afraid that someone might see and hear us. But in the end, I managed to break free, and I ran off barefoot with one phone on a string.”
The 23-year-old Zverev insisted the accusations were “unfounded”.
“There are the unfounded accusations of my ex – girlfriend Olga Sharypova , which I read in the media today. They make me very sad,” he continued.
“We have known each other since we were children and shared many experiences together. I very much regret that she makes such statements because the accusations are simply not true.
“We had a relationship but it ended a long time ago . Why Olga is making these accusations now, I just don’t know . I really hope that the two of us will find a way to deal with each other again in a reasonable and respectful way.”
Novak Djokovic sees off Jannik Sinner in ‘very good encounter’ as he stays unbeaten in 2021
Novak Djokovic up and running on clay in 2021.
John Millman hits back at Steve Johnson’s ‘untrue’ accusations against ATP
John Millman on the defence.
Mixed doubles back on Roland Garros agenda while Parma fills void left in calendar after French Open delay
Mixed doubles and Parma get green lights.
Rafael Nadal ‘absolutely fine’ and given all-clear after Daniil Medvedev’s positive Covid-19 test
Rafael Nadal set for Monte-Carlo Masters appearance on Wednesday.
Jannik Sinner all set for ‘good test’ against Novak Djokovic at Monte-Carlo Masters
Jannik Sinner set for Novak Djokovic test at Monte-Carlo Masters.
Dan Evans ‘eager to get vaccinated’ and willing to stay at a hotel in order to play at very ‘different Wimbledon’
Dan Evans on vaccinations and hotel rules for Wimbledon.
Rafael Nadal and co face anxious wait in Monte-Carlo after Daniil Medvedev’s positive Covid-19 case
Medvedev in isolation but practised with Nadal.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal find out their opponents for Monte-Carlo Masters openers
Tricky opening match for Novak Djokovic.
Daniil Medvedev withdrawn from Monte-Carlo Masters after positive Covid-19 test
Medvedev has been moved into isolation.
Daniil Medvedev withdraws from Monte-Carlo Masters after testing positive for Covid-19
Daniil Medvedev OUT of Monte-Carlo Masters.