Ashleigh Barty out of US Open amid coronavirus fears
World No 1 Ashleigh Barty has pulled out of the US Open and become the first of what is expected to be a number of high profile withdrawals from the tournament due to Covid-19.
The Australian announced her withdrawal from the Grand Slam event and a lead-up tournament, saying she did not want to put herself and her support crew through the risks involved in such an effort during the pandemic.
“My team and I have decided that we won’t be travelling to the US, and (the) Western and Southern Open and the US Open this year,” Barty said in a statement to Australian Associated Press on Thursday morning.
“I love both events so it was a difficult decision but there are still significant risks involved due to Covid-19 and I don’t feel comfortable putting my team and I in that position.
“I wish the USTA all the best for the tournaments and I look forward to being back in the US next year.”
The Western and Southern Open is due to take place from August 15, with the US Open starting on August 31.
Barty, 24, will take time to consider whether she will defend her title at the French Open, rescheduled from its usual northern spring timeslot to commence on September 27.
“I will make my decision on the French Open and the surrounding WTA European tournaments in the coming weeks,” she said.
The Western and Southern Open has been moved from Cincinatti to the same venue as the US Open, with US tennis officials creating a coronavirus biosecurity hub at Flushing Meadows.
Still, world No 2 Simona Halep and defending US Open champion Bianca Andreescu have not entered the lead-up tournament.
Not only is the unravelling pandemic situation in the US a potential red flag for prospective visitors to the country, travellers must also consider having to serve a mandatory quarantine period on returning home.
More than 150,000 people have died in the US from Covid-19, nearly a quarter of the world’s total deaths.
Novak Djokovic steps up to put Team Europe back on track
Novak Djokovic helped Team Europe retake the lead at the Laver Cup on Saturday.
Rising Chinese star Zheng Qinwen surges into first WTA final in Tokyo
Zheng Qinwen will contest her first WTA Tour final against Russia’s Liudmila Samsonova in Tokyo.
Team Europe take lead in Laver Cup as Roger Federer watches
Matteo Berrettini gave Europe the edge in the Laver Cup on Saturday.
Roger Federer hints at farewell tour ‘to say thank you to fans’
Roger Federer lost his final competitive match but wants to say farewell to his fans all over the world in some way.
Roger Federer’s classy farewell reminds others how it should be done
Compare Federer’s farewell with that of Serena Williams at the US Open and you observe a very different route to an exit.
Emma Raducanu halted by injury once again as she retires from Korea Open semi-final
Emma Raducanu missed out on a place in the Korea Open final after an injury halted her promising run in Seoul.
Roger Federer ends illustrious career with doubles defeat at Laver Cup
The Swiss great announced last week this doubles tie would be the final match of his professional career.
Emotional Roger Federer bids tearful farewell to professional tennis
Federer partnered with Rafael Nadal in the final match of his illustrious career.
A closer look at the incredible career of Roger Federer
The Swiss maestro is hanging up his racket after the Laver Cup.
Emma Raducanu reacts to reaching her first WTA Tour semi-final
The 19-year-old beat Magda Linette 6-2 6-2 in Seoul and will face top seed Jelena Ostapenko for a place in the final.