ATP Cup and several other Australian Open warm-up events set to be moved to Victoria
The state of Victoria looks set to play host to the 2021 “Australian summer of tennis” with the ATP Cup and several other tournaments set to move there.
The tournament directors for the Brisbane International, Hobart International and Adelaide International revealed over the weekend that their events are set to be switched to Victoria.
The ATP Cup, which was due to take place in several Australian cities, is also set to be moved to south-eastern Australia as it would ease some of the logical nightmares that have been caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
Players will have to test negative for Covid-19 twice before they will be allowed into the bubble, but it should make their lives a little easier being based in one city.
Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley told Melbourne’s Herald Sun that while those events will be switched, “there is now no risk of the Australian Open going ahead without everyone in Victoria and we didn’t have that guarantee previously”.
Brisbane Tennis took to Twitter to confirm the move.
“All lead-in events to the Australian Open will be held in Victoria to ensure all players can safely compete in, and prepare for, the grand slam. See you in 2022!” a statement read.
It is with great sadness we announce #BrisbaneTennis will not be taking place in Queensland in 2021. All lead in events to the Australian Open will be held in Victoria to ensure all players can safely compete in, and prepare for, the Grand Slam. See you in 2022! pic.twitter.com/82PIoRS8Tb
— #BrisbaneTennis (@BrisbaneTennis) November 15, 2020
Meanwhile, Brisbane International tournament director Mark Handley said: “Tennis fans in Queensland will understandably be feeling a little flat with the decision however the current COVID-19 protocols meant a Melbourne-only summer of tennis is the safest and most feasible option for the playing group.”
A statement from the Hobart International said it “been decided that the Australian summer of tennis will be played in Victoria in 2021”.
Should the move be rubber stamped, it will allow more than 500 tennis players from around the globe to be based in Victoria for nearly two months.
Ryan Peniston keeps expecting to wake up from Wimbledon dream
The 26-year-old wild card sailed through to the second round.
Nick Kyrgios fires up on crowd and line judge in five-set win over Paul Jubb
Nick Kyrgios lost the crowd after an outburst at the line judge when he suggested she had no fans.
Andy Murray has no targets for Wimbledon despite rising expectations
Andy Murray said he was in a good place fitness wise after he opened his campaign with a win against James Duckworth.
Iga Swiatek owns longest winning streak this century after first-round win
Swiatek’s streak goes back to February and has seen her win six tournaments.
Emma Raducanu seeks to embody the fighting spirit of Rafael Nadal
Emma Raducanu looked sharp in her opening round win.
Wimbledon debut delight for Ryan Peniston as he reels off straight-sets win in opener
The British wildcard saw off Switzerland’s Henri Laaksonen.
‘Is this Serena Williams coming to say goodbye?’ asks Australian great ahead of her Wimbledon return
“I think it could be hard for her having been away from the game.”
Heartbroken Matteo Berrettini’s Wimbledon ‘dream is over for this year’ after positive Covid-19 test
Matteo Berrettini vows to come back stronger.
Wimbledon day two: Follow the action from SW19 with Tennis365’s live scores and results centre here…
Catch the action from Wimbledon with our live scores and results centre…
John McEnroe cautions ‘it could get tiring’ for Rafael Nadal’s opponents to hear about his foot injury
John McEnroe never one to mince his words.