European Union demands proof that Peng Shuai is safe and well
In a statement released earlier on Tuesday, the European Union (EU) called for proof from China that former world No 1 doubles player Peng Shuai is safe.
After Peng made sexual assault allegations towards former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli on the Chinese social media site Weibo earlier in November she wasn’t heard from until she reappeared over a week ago.
Emails have been released by the Chinese state media, which have been attributed to Peng, while she also shared a video call with the IOC President Thomas Bach on November 21 and made an appearance at a tennis tournament in Beijing on the same day.
However, EU doesn’t think this is sufficient enough.
“Her recent public reappearance does not ease concerns about her safety and freedom,” an EU spokesperson said.
“The EU joins growing international demands, including by sport professionals, for assurances that she is free and not under threat.
“In this spirit, the EU requests the Chinese government to provide verifiable proof of Peng Shuai’s safety, well-being and whereabouts.”
I am devastated and shocked to hear about the news of my peer, Peng Shuai. I hope she is safe and found as soon as possible. This must be investigated and we must not stay silent. Sending love to her and her family during this incredibly difficult time. #whereispengshuai pic.twitter.com/GZG3zLTSC6
— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) November 18, 2021
Peng’s post on Weibo was removed within minutes of it going live to her half a million followers on November 2 and she wasn’t heard from for three weeks. The tennis community, including the WTA, Serena Williams, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have called for an investigation.
The European governing body wants the 35-year-old Peng to assist an investigation into her sexual assault allegations and is calling on China to comply with human rights rules.
“The EU urges the Chinese authorities to conduct a fair, full and transparent investigation into her allegations of sexual assault,” they said in their statement.
“The EU strongly opposes the use of the practice of enforced disappearance and arbitrary detention…and calls upon China to comply with its human rights obligations under national and international law.”
Elena Rybakina set to secure a new career-high WTA ranking
Elena Rybakina will reach a new career-high but victory at Indian Wells will see her supplant Maria Sakkari and world No 7.
Aryna Sabalenka says she has been subjected to abuse over nationality
Aryna Sabalenka said it was wrong to blame tennis players for the Russian military invasion of Ukraine.
Frances Tiafoe out to test injured Daniil Medvedev
Frances Tiafoe wants to deny Daniil Medvedev his 19th win in succession.
Revealed: Novak Djokovic’s full financial loss after Covid vaccine decision
Novak Djokovic will miss the upcoming Miami Open and now the full cost of his decision to avoid taking a Covid-19 vaccine can be revealed.
Iga Swiatek says she wasn’t at 100 percent for Elena Rybakina clash
Iga Swiatek has vowed not to play if she isn’t fully fit.
Indian Wells set to stage Australian Open final rematch
Elena Rybakina and Aryna Sabalenka have set another showdown.
British tennis star Heather Watson catches the eye with revealing holiday pictures
Heather Watson, 30, leaves little to the imagination in her latest Instagram post.
Final decision is made on Novak Djokovic’s bid to play in Miami
It has now been confirmed that Novak Djokovic will not be taking part in the Miami Open that starts next week.
Elina Svitolina to return only five months after giving birth as comeback event is confirmed
Elina Svitolina all set for her comeback.
When did Stefanos Tsitsipas decide to become a tennis player?
Stefanos Tsitsipas has leaned on his father for advice throughout his career.