Fears over Andy Murray’s Wimbledon participation as comeback stalls
There are serious doubts over whether Andy Murray will compete at Wimbledon with reports suggesting his recovery from hip surgery is slower than initially expected.
The three-time Grand Slam winner has not played any competitive tennis since Wimbledon last year, but he had high hopes of making his comeback at the Australian Open at the start of this year. However, he pulled out on the eve of the tournament and underwent surgery on his troublesome hip.
He then pencilled in the grass-court season for his return with the Rosmalen event in the Netherlands, which starts on June 11, and the Fever-Tree Championships at Queen’s Club added to his schedule.
However, there are now fears that he will not only miss those two events, but the entire grass-court season.
The Telegraph reports “there is little prospect of Murray fulfilling any of his grass-court commitments: which include not only Queen’s but also the Rosmalen event in Holland, not to mention the big prize of Wimbledon itself.
“Whispers from close to the Murray camp suggest that the American hard-court season, which starts in earnest only in August, is now the more realistic target. There is even a theory that he should be especially cautious and delay his comeback until the end of the year.”
Organisers of the Queen’s Club event insists Murray is still on the entry list for this year’s tournament, saying he shouldn’t be written off just yet.
“Wimbledon is such a long way off,” a source told The Guardian, “nearly two months, in fact, it seems premature to be writing him off.
“We certainly have had no news to that effect. He is still on our entry list [posted on Tuesday], which is the strongest in the history of the tournament, with six of the world’s top 10 and 17 of the top 30 featured, along with former champions and finalists.”
He added: “It could happen, but there has been no word from his camp. We expect to be working with him in promoting the event at some point in the coming weeks.”
Dominic Thiem dismisses calls for the Australian Open to be cancelled
US Open champion Dominic Thiem insists next month’s Australian Open should go ahead despite players being in quarantine.
Timeline of Andy Murray’s injury nightmare as he pulls out of Australian Open
Andy Murray is out of next month’s Australian Open here we look at the timeline of Murray’s injury troubles since 2017.
Andy Murray ‘gutted’ as he shelves plans to play at Australian Open
Murray has been unable to solve a quarantine conundrum.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal learn their fate in ATP Cup draw
Serbia will begin…
‘Really unjustified’ – Boris Becker leaps to Novak Djokovic’s defence over his quarantine pleas
Boris Becker believes world No.1 Novak Djokovic has come in for unfair criticism after writing a letter to Australian Open chiefs.
Umpire suffers heart attack as another Australian Open player tests positive for Covid-19
Spanish player Paula Badosa has announced she has tested positive for coronavirus during quarantine in Australia.
Laura Robson unsure about tennis future after third hip operation
The 27-year-old said her priority now is to live a pain-free life.
Andy Murray believes he can still play at the Australian Open as he plots return to action
Former world No.1 Andy Murray is still hopeful of playing in next month’s Australian Open.
Players are urged not to feed the mice in their hotel rooms as Heather Watson turns to Tik Tok
Britain’s Heather Watson has turned to Tik…
On this day in 2014: Stan Wawrinka ends Novak Djokovic’s Australian Open run
The Swiss won a five-set epic to deny Djokovic a piece of history.