Former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic tests positive for coronavirus
Novak Djokovic’s coach, former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic, has confirmed he has tested positive for coronavirus.
The Croatian, who triumphed at the All England Club in 2001, had come out in defence of the Serbian over his organisation of the ill-fated Adria Tour.
The event had to be cancelled after one of the participants, Grigor Dimitrov, confirmed he had tested positive.
Ivanisevic defended Djokovic, who has also since tested positive, telling the New York Times everyone attacking the 33-year-old was “smart now” but that the event had been given government approval.
Now the 48-year-old coach has tested positive too, confirming the news on Instagram.
Ivanisevic wrote: “Unfortunately after two negative tests in the last 10 days, I have just found out I have tested positive for Covid-19. I feel good and don’t have any symptoms.”
The event, which took place in front of crowds with little evidence of social-distancing, was criticised by other players.
Australian Nick Kyrgios called the decision to stage the event “boneheaded” while British number one Dan Evans described it as “a poor example to set”.
Djokovic said earlier this week: “I am so deeply sorry our tournament has caused harm.
“Everything the organisers and I did the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions.
“We believed the tournament met all health protocols and the health of our region seemed in good conditions to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons.
“We were wrong and it was too soon. I can’t express enough how sorry I am for this and every case of infection.”
Meanwhile, this year’s Davis Cup Finals has been postponed until 2021.
The event will now take place in Madrid in the week commencing November 22, 2021.
International Tennis Federation David Haggerty said on the Davis Cup website: “This is a tough decision to have to make, but delivering an international team event on this scale while guaranteeing the health and safety of all involved ultimately poses too great a risk.
“It is a complex undertaking and we have made the decision now to provide certainty for players, national associations and fans. We look forward to continuing our partnership with Kosmos Tennis in order to deliver a fantastic competition next year.”
Ryan Peniston keeps expecting to wake up from Wimbledon dream
The 26-year-old wild card sailed through to the second round.
Nick Kyrgios fires up on crowd and line judge in five-set win over Paul Jubb
Nick Kyrgios lost the crowd after an outburst at the line judge when he suggested she had no fans.
Andy Murray has no targets for Wimbledon despite rising expectations
Andy Murray said he was in a good place fitness wise after he opened his campaign with a win against James Duckworth.
Iga Swiatek owns longest winning streak this century after first-round win
Swiatek’s streak goes back to February and has seen her win six tournaments.
Emma Raducanu seeks to embody the fighting spirit of Rafael Nadal
Emma Raducanu looked sharp in her opening round win.
Wimbledon debut delight for Ryan Peniston as he reels off straight-sets win in opener
The British wildcard saw off Switzerland’s Henri Laaksonen.
‘Is this Serena Williams coming to say goodbye?’ asks Australian great ahead of her Wimbledon return
“I think it could be hard for her having been away from the game.”
Heartbroken Matteo Berrettini’s Wimbledon ‘dream is over for this year’ after positive Covid-19 test
Matteo Berrettini vows to come back stronger.
Wimbledon day two: Follow the action from SW19 with Tennis365’s live scores and results centre here…
Catch the action from Wimbledon with our live scores and results centre…
John McEnroe cautions ‘it could get tiring’ for Rafael Nadal’s opponents to hear about his foot injury
John McEnroe never one to mince his words.