‘I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused,’ says Grigor Dimitrov after testing positive for coronavirus
Former world No 3 Grigor Dimitrov has revealed he has tested positive for coronavirus, saying on social media “I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused”.
The Bulgarian, a Wimbledon semi-finalist in 2014, was a competitor at last week’s Adria Tour event with host of other high-profile players including Novak Djokovic, Alexander Zverev and Dominic Thiem.
Dimitrov, now ranked 19, lost to Borna Coric at the event in Croatia on Saturday.
World No 1 Djokovic set up the tournament to help players get back to fitness after several weeks of no competition.
View this post on Instagram
Hi Everyone-I want to reach out and let my fans and friends know that I tested positive back in Monaco for Covid-19. I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during these past days gets tested and takes the necessary precautions. I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused. I am back home now and recovering. Thanks for your support and please stay safe and healthy. GD
Dimitrov, 29, has now urged everyone he has been in contact with over the past few days to take a test for the virus.
He wrote on Instagram: “Hi everyone – I want to reach out and let my fans and friends know that I tested positive back in Monaco for Covid-19.
“I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during these past days gets tested and takes the necessary precautions.
“I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused. I am back home now and recovering. Thanks for your support and please stay safe and healthy. GD”
Following the news of Dimitrov’s positive test the final of the Adria Tour, due to be played on Sunday evening between Djokovic and Andrey Rublev, has been cancelled.
Event organisers announced on Twitter: “Grigor Dimitrov has tested positive for COVID 19. As a precaution and to protect the health of all participants and visitors, we have decided to cancel the Adria Tour Finale in Zadar.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Stefanos Tsitsipas confident he will eventually get to No 1 in the world: ‘I’m here for the marathon’
Stefanos Tsitsipas has not given up on the world No 1 ranking.
Why the biggest winners of 2022 are not Alcaraz, Swiatek, Nadal or Djokovic
Doubles pair Henry Patten and Julian Cash have claimed ten titles on the ATP Challenger Tour.
Rafael Nadal may have dropped a big hint that his retirement is imminent
Nadal has stated that he does not expect to play any more professional tennis events in Mexico, as he looks to trim down his schedule.
Stefanos Tsitsipas regrets trying to fire up Andrey Rublev
Stefanos Tsitsipas has conceded that his comments were out of line.
Jimmy Connors slams the ITIA over Mardy Fish and Bob Bryan suspensions
Jimmy Connors says that gambling helps to get fans more engaged.
Venus Williams suggests she will play more in 2023
Venus Williams won’t be quitting just yet.
Camila Giorgi catches the eye on Instagram with stunning holiday image
Giorgi has posted a new image to her fans, as she confirmed she remains glamorous during the off-season in a festive red dress.
More players reveal motivations for playing Saudi exhibition
The Diriyah Tennis Cup in Saudi Arabia has attracted an all-star field.