Kei Nishikori faces US Open fitness race after positive Covid-19 test
Kei Nishikori faces a race against time to be fit for the US Open after revealing he has tested positive for Covid-19.
The 30-year-old Japanese announced on Sunday that he was self-isolating in Florida and as a result had pulled out of the Western and Southern Open, which has been moved to New York from its traditional venue in Cincinnati to act as a warm-up event for the Grand Slam tournament.
In a statement on his official app, Nishikori said: “Hi everyone, I have some unfortunate news today. This morning while still in Florida, I got tested for Covid19 and tested positive. I will have to pull out of the Cincinnati tournament at this time.
“Me and my team will get tested again on Friday, at which point I will have another update. I am feeling well and have very little symptoms, but will obviously be in complete isolation for the safety of everyone.
“We were planning to fly to New York tomorrow, but will obviously now stay in Florida. Next update will be on Friday.”
Nishikori, currently ranked 31 in the world, has not played a competitive match since undergoing elbow surgery in October last year, although the ongoing pandemic has meant he has missed less tennis than he might ordinarily have done.
The US Open is due to get underway at Flushing Meadows on August 31.
Exclusive – Former British No 1 insists Novak Djokovic deserves more respect
Novak Djokovic deserves equal billing alongside Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
Wimbledon ranking points decision sparking angry reaction from players
The decision from the ATP and WTA…
Carlos Alcaraz ‘a different person’ as he prepares for second French Open
Carlos Alcaraz heads into the French Open…
Cameron Norrie wins Lyon Open for fourth career title
Cameron Norrie claims his fourth career title in Lyon.
Novak Djokovic ready to be tested in French Open defence after ‘very tough’ draw
The Serbian could face Rafael Nadal, Carlos Alcaraz and Alexander Zverev if he wants to win the title
Iga Swiatek relaxed as she returns to happy hunting ground
Iga Swiatek says she is prepared for the day her winning streak is broken.
Wimbledon doubles down on Russian ban despite stripping of ranking points
Wimbledon organisers said they ‘made the only viable decision’.
Peng Shuai latest: IOC says she is ‘looking forward to visiting Europe’
Peng’s safety and freedom has been a concern since she appeared to allege in a social media post that she had been sexually assaulted.
Novak Djokovic and Emma Raducanu facing huge rankings drop after Wimbledon decision
Djokovic is almost certain to lose his No.1 ranking.
Comment – Why the removal Wimbledon’s ranking points could backfire on the ATP and WTA
Wimbledon has been stripped of its ATP ranking points following the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.