LTA announces cancellation of all 2020 grass-court events due to the coronavirus
There will be no grass-court tournaments across the United Kingdom over the next few weeks after the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) confirmed that all events have been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club had already confirmed that the Wimbledon 2020 has been cancelled and the 134th Championships will now be staged from 28 June to 11 July 2021.
However, the LTA has made an additional call as the Nature Valley Open in Nottingham (8-14 June), the Fever-Tree Championships at The Queen’s Club, the Nature Valley Classic in Birmingham and the Nature Valley International in Eastbourne (21-27 June) have also been axed.
The British Open Wheelchair Tennis Championships in July, the ITF/ATP Trophy Series events in Manchester (8-14 June) and Ilkley (15-21 June), the ITF junior Grade 1 events in Nottingham (22-27 June) and Roehampton (28 June – 3 July) as well as all ITF Wheelchair events will also not take place this year.
“Given the escalation of the COVID-19 pandemic, the latest government advice and our discussions with the ATP, WTA, ITF and AELTC, it is with deep regret that our summer grass court tournaments and the British Open Wheelchair Tennis Championships have been cancelled for 2020,” Scott Lloyd, LTA Chief Executive said.
“This is an unprecedented situation and the health of those attending our tournaments as spectators, players, staff, media, sponsors and guests had to be our number one consideration. We at the LTA will be working hard to support our wider tennis community to allow the sport a strong return to health when conditions allow. In the meantime we hope that our tennis fans are staying safe and we look forward to welcoming them back to tennis when we can.”
Exclusive – Tennis needs to build ‘female workforce’ to reach a new audience
Judy Murray wants to see more women participating in tennis at all levels.
Naomi Osaka will not play at Wimbledon but she is preparing to return to the game
Wimbledon is set to begin on June 28 and Naomi Osaka will be missing.
Andy Murray insists his ambition is not dented after compressive defeat at Queen’s Club
The Scot was overpowered 6-3 6-3.
Wimbledon organisers defend online ticket sale amid complaints from fans
Vast majority of those applying had no issues.
Impressive Matteo Berrettini ends Andy Murray’s Queen’s Club comeback
Andy Murray was overpowered by Matteo Berrettini.
‘I’m just pleased to have come through,’ Dan Evans after easing into Queen’s Club last eight
British No 1 secured a two-set win over the Frenchman.
‘The goal is to prolong my career,’ says Rafael Nadal as he withdraws from Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics
Rafael Nadal opts to take an extended.
Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal may be a sign of what is to come
Kevin Palmer on Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal.
A list of Roger Federer’s defeats on grass. Can you name the 24 players who have beaten him on the surface?
A full list of Roger Federer’s 28 defeats on grass.
‘The tank is quite empty,’ says Kiki Bertens as she announces 2021 will be her final season
Kiki Bertens to call it a day.