Nick Kyrgios’ assault court case pushed back until October

Nick Kyrgios at Wimbledon

Nick Kyrgios’ lawyers have been granted an extra six weeks to prepare his common assault charge after a judge rejected an application for three-month adjournment.

World No 26 was charged with common assault – believed to be related to an altercation he had with his ex-girlfriend last year – in July.

The Wimbledon finalist’s initial hearing was set for August 2 at the ACT Magistrates Court, but it was pushed back by three weeks until August 23 and on Monday his legal representative Michael Kukulies-Smith requested another adjournment, this time until November 25.

Kyrgios did not attend the hearing, but Kukulies-Smith said the request for the new date was to accommodate the tennis player, who is currently in North America ahead of the US Open.

“Your honour would no doubt be aware that my client spends very little of his time in the ACT,” he said.

Kukulies-Smith did not divulge much detail during the brief hearing about the application to delay the process, saying “it’s an application… which is one which is capable of resolving the matter” adding he would not discuss the matter further due to the presence of the “large contingent of media” in court.

However, Magistrate Louise Taylor rejected the request as she could not give an extension for “unknown reasons”.

“I’m not quite certain what the case for secrecy is,” she said.

As for the request to accommodate Kyrgios’ schedule, Ms Taylor added: “Lots of defendants have matters they’d like the court to accommodate.”

The case was adjourned until October 4.

Kyrgios is set to play at the US Open, which runs from August 29 until September 11 in New York, but he has already indicated that he will return to Australia after the tournament as he is fatigued and wants to spend more time with his sick parents.

Latest