Tennis will take another tentative step towards a competitive return after world No 1 Novak Djokovic announced a new tournament for the Balkan region.
The sport has been on an enforced break since the start of March and, if things go according to plan, it will only resume on August 1.
Earlier this month exhibition tennis made a return with the Exo Tennis Series in Germany and former world No 64 Dustin Brown was the highest-profile player in the draw.
However, some of the biggest names in the game will compete in the newly launched Adria Tour, which will be played in Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro and Bosnia.
Djokovic will be joined by world No 3 Dominic Thiem and world No 19 Grigor Dimitrov in the eight-player tournament.
View this post on Instagram
I’m proud to officially share the news that the #AdriaTour will be held across the Balkans 13 June – 5 July kicking off with a tournament in Belgrade. Very grateful and excited we could make this happen to play and support humanitarian projects across the region. See you guys on court soon 🙏🏼🙌🏼💪🏼👏🏼🎾 Follow @adriatourofficial for more announcements. Idemo!! 😃
“I’m proud to officially share the news that the #AdriaTour will be held across the #Balkans 13 June – 5 July kicking off with a tournament in Belgrade,” Djokovic said on social media.
“Very grateful we could make this happen to play and support humanitarian projects across the region.”
Money raised by the tournament will go to various regional humanitarian projects and the series will conclude with Djokovic’s exhibition match against Bosnian Damir Dzumhur in Sarajevo, Serbia, on July 5.
Can you believe it is 32 years since Graf’s 6-0, 6-0 win?
Coco Gauff calls for change.
Giudicelli is adamant that Roland Garros 2020 will go ahead.
Pat Cash on the GOAT debate.
‘I don’t think it’ll be easy,’ says Ana Ivanovic.
Karolina Pliskova okay with playing without fans.
Tsitsipas insists he has what it takes to win a major.
Flushing Meadows to host back-to-back tournaments?
Spaniard was lasting improvements.