Peng Shuai claims she ‘never said’ she was sexually assaulted

Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai has given her first public interview since her disappearance and denied making sexual assault allegations towards a former politician.
The 35-year-old appeared in a video posted by Singapore media outlet, Lianhe Zaobao, denying ever calling out the former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli for forcibly having sex with her.
This was her first interview since disappearing in early November after posting her allegations on Chinese social media site Weibo but now she’s backtracked on these claims, which is worrying authorities across the world.
“First, I need to stress one point that is extremely important, I have never said or written that anyone has sexually assaulted me, I have to clearly stress this point,” the former No 1 in doubles explained.
“About the Weibo post, that’s my personal issue, there are many misunderstandings, there is no distorted interpretation.”
She added: “Why would anyone monitor me?
“I have always been very free.”
This hasn’t satisfied the tennis world but it has intensified the need for an investigation into what happened to Peng when she mysteriously disappeared and how she’s being treated now.
The WTA has already suspended all it’s tournaments in China as a result of the organisation not being satisfied with the assurances they’ve been given on her wellbeing so far, despite her having been in a video conference with IOC President Thomas Bach on November 21.
In a statement, the WTA said: “It was again good to see Peng Shuai in a public setting and we certainly hope she is doing well.
“As we have consistently stated, these appearances do not alleviate or address the WTA’s significant concerns about her wellbeing and ability to communicate without censorship or coercion.
“We remain steadfast in our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern.”
Peng also said in the video posted on Sunday that she’d personally sent a letter to WTA chief Steve Simon last month denying that she’d made the sexual assault claims, but Simon “had a hard time believing” that she wrote it or penned it without any pressure.
China’s foreign ministry on the other hand believe that people are “maliciously hyping” the Peng situation and they should stop “politicising” it as it isn’t a “diplomatic matter.”
The WTA have already pulled out of China; the ATP are yet to make this decision but Peng has had no shortage of supporters from the tennis community, as players have been showing their concern on social media – Serena Williams, Andy Murray and Naomi Osaka are just to name a few.
I am devastated and shocked to hear about the news of my peer, Peng Shuai. I hope she is safe and found as soon as possible. This must be investigated and we must not stay silent. Sending love to her and her family during this incredibly difficult time. #whereispengshuai pic.twitter.com/GZG3zLTSC6
— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) November 18, 2021
Female tennis player Peng Shuai whereabouts currently unknown after making Sexual abuse allegations against Chinese government official.
This speech gives us a reminder and some hope that things can change in the future 🙏 #WhereIsPengShuai https://t.co/eKnLCHcPLj— Andy Murray (@andy_murray) November 19, 2021
. #WhereIsPengShuai pic.twitter.com/51qcyDtzLq
— NaomiOsaka大坂なおみ (@naomiosaka) November 16, 2021
Latest
-
Wimbledon
Cameron Norrie breaks new ground at home Grand Slam
Cameron Norrie defeated Steve Johnson 6-4 6-1 6-0 to make the last 16 at a grand slam for the first time.
-
Wimbledon
Novak Djokovic not concerned about Covid-19 risk
Novak Djokovic is not worried about Covid-19.
-
Wimbledon
Mats Wilander backs Brit to make last eight at SW19
Heather Watson made a statement in her third round win.
-
Wimbledon
Novak Djokovic set for fourth round clash with breakout grass prospect
Van Rijthoven’s rapid rise this summer continued, as he beat Nikoloz Basilashvili to the sound of ‘come on Tim’ at Wimbledon.
-
Wimbledon
Heather Watson banishes the ghost of her epic third round loss to Serena Williams
Watson is through to the fourth round of a grand slam for the first time in his career.
-
Wimbledon
How much John McEnroe earns from BBC commentary gig
John McEnroe walks away with a tidy sum for a fortnight of work.
-
Wimbledon
Ons Jabeur isn’t paid by the hour as she breezes into last 16
The world number two extended her winning streak on grass this summer to eight matches.
-
Tennis News
Heather Watson and Cameron Norrie flying the flag for Britain today at Wimbledon
Only four Brits remain.
-
Tennis News
Carlos Alcaraz finding his feet at SW19 to threaten Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal
He’s becoming a bigger danger to the ‘more experienced.’
-
Wimbledon
Nick Kyrgios punished for spitting at fan in Wimbledon crowd
Bad boy Kyrgios handed yet another fine.