Peng Shuai news: Former world No 1 blasts Australian Open for ‘pathetic’ Peng Shuai’s T-shirts ban
Martina Navratilova has slammed the Australian Open following a decision to ban T-shirts and banners supporting Chinese player Peng Shuai.
The 18 Grand Slam champion has called the decision “pathetic” and believes the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA)] stands pretty much alone in its support for the former doubles world No 1.
Last week fans were asked to remove their T-shirts that asked “Where is Peng Shuai?” while banners were confiscated.
The Grand Slam’s organisers over the weekend stated they although they stand by their decision, the Chinese player’s safety is their primary concern and they continued to work with the WTA to seek more clarity.
Last year, Shuai accused former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli of coercing her into having sex,but her social media post was quickly deleted.
— Martina Navratilova (@Martina) January 23, 2022
The 36-year-old later appeared in a video posted by Singapore media outlet, Lianhe Zaobao, denying ever calling out the former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli of forcibly having sex with her.
Since November Peng has not been seen publicly.
“Sport has always been on the forefront of social issues, pushing them forward, and we are going backwards I feel. I find it really, really cowardly,” Navratilova has told the Tennis Channel.
“This is not a political statement, this is a human rights statement. And chances are Peng Shuai may be playing here but she couldn’t get out of the country. Anyway, I think they’re wrong on this.
“The WTA has been so strong on this issue. And the players, really taking a chance on their pocket book.”
WTA fall tournaments in China remain up in the air and updates on Peng Shuai continue to raise concern.
— Tennis Channel (@TennisChannel) January 23, 2022
Jodie Burrage adding to the momentum behind Brits ahead of Wimbledon
Burrage’s journey, not only on grass courts but on tour as a whole, has not been smooth sailing.
Exclusive – Rumours over Emma Raducanu’s Wimbledon withdrawal as John Lloyd gives his verdict
US Open champion Raducanu has not played since withdrawing from the Rothesay Open Nottingham with the injury that continues to trouble her.
Wimbledon: Jack Draper feels ‘ready to be dangerous’ following last four run in Eastbourne
Draper was beaten in the Eastbourne semi-finals by Maxime Cressy on Friday.
Emma Raducanu can rise above the pressure and deliver at Wimbledon
The 19-year-old sparked more fears around her fitness by pulling out of a practice session on Friday.
Eastbourne: Jack Draper misses out on maiden ATP final
Cressy continued his conquering of the British players to edge through 7-6 (5) 6-7 (2) 6-3.
Ukraine grateful to Wimbledon for its decision to ban Russian players
The Ukrainian teenager says she has been “constantly disappointed” at the reaction of tennis since Russia’s invasion.
Rafael Nadal making the most of every minute on grass
Rafael Nadal is upbeat ahead of Wimbledon.
Emma Raducanu’s agent defends teen star’s work schedule
Emma Raducanu’s agent Max Eisenbud insists the young star’s off-court commitments have not impacted her performance at all.
Emma Raducanu should limit off-court obligations according to former prodigy
Pam Shriver says she doesn’t expect much from Emma Raducanu at Wimbledon.
Andy Murray says ‘I still believe I can win Wimbledon’ and working hard to ‘achieve that goal’
Andy Murray believes he can win a third Wimbledon title.