Rafael Nadal admits he would not travel to New York for US Open under current circumstances
Rafael Nadal has cast doubt over the prospective resumption of the international tennis calendar and insisted he would not currently be prepared to travel to a major tournament due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Global health fears and quarantine restrictions have led to concerns over the practicality of staging the US and French Opens, which are still scheduled to take place in August and September respectively.
And Nadal, who celebrated his 34th birthday on Wednesday, said he would have serious concerns about returning to the tour until the situation has eased enough for players from every nation to be able to compete.
Speaking on a Zoom call with international media, Nadal said: “It’s not an ideal situation – if you ask me today if I want to travel to New York to play a tennis tournament, I will say no.
“I am confident they will make the right decisions in the right moment to be sure that if (the US Open) is played it is going to be under extremely safe circumstances – if not, in my opinion, it doesn’t make sense.
“We have a worldwide sport and my feeling is that we need to be clear and responsible. It’s not the same as football which can be played in one country. When you mix people from every single part of the world the complications are completely different.
“We need to understand that we are suffering an unprecedented situation and my feeling is we need to come back when all the players of all the world are able to travel under safe circumstances.
“If not, in my personal opinion, will we come back? Yes, and I probably will play, yes, but my feeling will be that we are not being 100 per cent fair and correct.”
All ATP and WTA events remain suspended until at least July 31, although the six-strong LiveScore Cup, a women’s exhibition event in Prague, is taking place this week, and Novak Djokovic has discussed staging a similar event in Serbia.
Nadal, whose quest to add to his current tally of 19 Grand Slam titles is currently on hold, is playing catch-up having only returned to the tennis court last week following an easing of Spain’s strict lockdown regulations.
And it is clear that the Spaniard, who previously suggested he could not see the sport returning in any form in 2020, retains a keen sense of perspective over its short-term prospects.
“I could not practice at my home because I don’t have a tennis court – I live in an apartment – so I need to take it step by step,” added Nadal.
“I am practising a couple of days a week and I am just trying to give myself the body preparation for what could happen in the next couple of months.
“I can’t predict the future. When I said I don’t see tennis during the whole season it was because we have been under the terrible circumstances with a lot of people suffering every single day.
“So my mind was not able to think about that. I was thinking about the health of the people and the worldwide pandemic we are still suffering.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Andy Murray in race against time to play at Australian Open after testing positive for COVID-19
Andy Murray tests positive for coronavirus – report.
Andy Murray Australian Open appearance in doubt after positive test for Covid
Murray is hoping to be able to arrive in Australia at a later date.
Dominic Thiem’s coach tests positive for COVID-19, but hopes to link up with Austrian ‘soon’
Nicolas Massu hopes to fly Down Under in a few weeks.
‘It feels great,’ says Hubert Hurkacz after starting 2021 with Delray Beach Open trophy
Hubert Hurkacz captures second ATP Tour title.
Australian Open drama as player reveals he was allowed to board flight despite positive COVID-19 test
Tennys Sandgren allowed to fly despite positive test.
Rafael Nadal suffers Australian Open setback as his coach Carlos Moya opts not to travel Down Under
Carlos Moya won’t be in Rafael Nadal’s box.
Notable Australian Open qualifiers: From Tsvetana Pironkova and Francesca Jones to Bernard Tomic
Oli Jefford on the notable Australian Open qualifiers.
‘I’m really happy to keep winning,’ says Aryna Sabalenka after capturing third title in a row
Another tournament, another title for Aryna Sabalenka.
Francesca Jones overcame injury and ‘wee mental breakdown’ ahead of Australian Open qualifying
Jones is in the main draw of Australian Open.
Naomi Osaka backed to win ‘another five to 10 majors as she that all-court game right’
How many Grand Slams will Naomi Osaka win?