OFFICIAL: Rescheduled Madrid Open cancelled due to spike in coronavirus cases in Spain
The Madrid Open has been cancelled due to a spike in coronavirus cases in Spain.
The clay-court event was originally due to be played in May but was moved to September after the first wave of Covid-19 hit Europe, but a rise in cases in Spain has seen the tournament canned until next year.
It was due to be played as the premier warm-up event for the rescheduled French Open which is set to be played at the end of September and plans had been put in place for a bio-secure bubble to be created.
Official Statement on the staging of the 2020 #MMOPEN
— #MMOPEN (@MutuaMadridOpen) August 4, 2020
A statement from the tournament read: “As an act of responsibility in view of the current situation caused by Covid-19, and having thoroughly evaluated the circumstances that the pandemic continues to generate, together with the competent authorities, it has been decided that 2020 Mutua Madrid Open will not take place this year having previously been moved to 12-20 September.
“Following the strong recommendation of the local health authorities, and having monitored the situation for months, the organisers of the Mutua Madrid Open have no choice but to cancel the tournament due to the complex situation that Covid-19 continues to generate in every regard.
“In addition, and after a spike in Covid-19 cases, the community of Madrid announced a few days ago a number of new measures to control the virus’ spread, including a directive that social gatherings are to be reduced to 10 people, both in public and private meetings, further reducing the feasibility of operating the tournament.”
— wta (@WTA) August 4, 2020
The women’s WTA Tour resumed this week with the Palermo Open, with one unidentified player pulling out on the eve of the tournament after testing positive for coronavirus, while the men’s ATP Tour will start for the first time since March on August 22.
That tournament, the Western & Southern Open, will serve as a warm-up event for the US Open, which will be played on the same site a week later, though several top players have already pulled out due to safety concerns.
Both tours will now work on a revamped schedule for the autumn.
— ATP Tour (@atptour) August 4, 2020
They said in a joint statement: “The WTA and ATP regret to confirm the cancellation of the 2020 Mutua Madrid Open, a decision that has been taken in line with local authorities due to health and safety concerns.
“We would like to recognise the efforts of the tournament organisers who have gone to great lengths in exploring all options to run this year’s tournament, despite the many challenges presented by Covid-19.
“Both tours are assessing updates to the 2020 provisional calendars in regards to events following the US Open and an update will be published in due course.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Jurgen Melzer hits back at Novak Djokovic’s ATP claims, saying it is ‘utter nonsense’
Melzer ‘surprised that Djokovic is surprised’.
‘Players will skip Australian Open if they are not allowed to practise during quarantine period’
Players not ready to commit to Australian Open.
Wait for confirmation about 2021 Australian Open dates continues as Tennis Australia gives another update
Talks ongoing about dates for 2021 Australian Open.
ITF teams up with LTA in an attempt to introduce youngsters to tennis
Nearly 100,000 children in UK have taken part in Tennis for Kids over past five years.
Tennis Top 10
WTA top 10 prize-money earners in 2020: Sofia Kenin at No 1 as Serena Williams and Ashleigh Barty miss out
Your WTA top 10 prize-money earners in 2020.
The ATP Finals in London from 2009-2020 by numbers: 850 million viewers, $78.8m in prize money
Impressive figures from the ATP Finals at The O2 Arena.
Juan Martin del Potro eyes Olympics, but says ‘I will continue to lie to myself’ if dream doesn’t materialise
Juan Martin del Potro dreaming of the Olympics.
On This Day in 2015: Andy Murray inspires Great Britain to Davis Cup victory
Great Britain had not won the Davis Cup since 1936.
Recalling how Britain won the 2015 Davis Cup final amid a backdrop of terror
Kevin Palmer recalls the dramatic 2015 Davis Cup final.
EXCLUSIVE – On the fifth anniversary of Britain’s Davis Cup win, captain Leon Smith reflects on glorious year
On this day five years ago, Britain won the Davis Cup.