Roger Federer ‘fully expected’ to play Australian Open next year despite his refusal to commit early
Organisers of the Australian Open ‘full expect’ to see Roger Federer on court again in Melbourne next year, says tournament director Craig Tiley.
Federer lost his semi-final against Novak Djokovic on Thursday to end his hopes of winning a 21st Grand Slam title this month.
After the match, he insisted he had ‘no plans to retire,’ but stopped some way short of assuring his fans this year wasn’t his last Australian Open appearance.
Tiley, though, was much more confident that Federer would be back.
“I would be very wary of speculating on the end of Roger Federer’s career,” Tiley said.
“He is playing as well as ever and certainly still has the hunger. Roger has an obvious joy in his game. He clearly still very much loves playing tennis.
“Roger has proven time and time again, that he has incredible powers of recovery and endurance.
“With all that in mind, we fully expect him to see him back next year.”
On his own future, Federer commented after the match that he ‘hopes’ to be back .
“You never know what the future holds. But especially my age, you don’t know. I’m confident.
“I’m happy how I’m feeling, to be honest. I got through a good, nice training block. No plans to retire.
“From that standpoint, we’ll see how the year goes, how everything is with the family. We’ll go from there. Of course, I hope to be back.”
Iga Swiatek relaxed as she returns to happy hunting ground
Iga Swiatek says she is prepared for the day her winning streak is broken.
Wimbledon doubles down on Russian ban despite stripping of ranking points
Wimbledon organisers said they ‘made the only viable decision’.
Peng Shuai latest: IOC says she is ‘looking forward to visiting Europe’
Peng’s safety and freedom has been a concern since she appeared to allege in a social media post that she had been sexually assaulted.
Novak Djokovic and Emma Raducanu facing huge rankings drop after Wimbledon decision
Djokovic is almost certain to lose his No.1 ranking.
Comment – Why the removal Wimbledon’s ranking points could backfire on the ATP and WTA
Wimbledon has been stripped of its ATP ranking points following the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.
Wimbledon didn’t want to ‘risk safety of players’ or ‘success being used as propaganda by Russian regime’
Wimbledon has hit back at the ATP and WTA with a statement of their own.
WTA statement as women’s body also strips Wimbledon of ranking points over Russian player ban
WTA also has harsh words for Wimbledon after stripping grass-court major of ranking points.
ATP statement: Wimbledon slammed for ‘undermining integrity of the ATP Ranking system’
ATP unimpressed by Wimbledon.
Wimbledon thrown into chaos as ATP strips Slam of ranking points over Russian and Belarusian player ban
Big, big news as players won’t earn points for competing at Wimbledon.
Iga Swiatek made French Open favourite by former British No 1 Tim Henman
Tim Henman has been impressed by the progress in Iga Swiatek’s game.