Sergiy Stakhovsky news: Ukrainian former player has enlisted in the reserve army
Former Ukrainian player Sergiy Stakhovsky enlisted in his country’s reserve army last week ahead of the Russian invasion on February 24.
Russia invaded the country by air, land and sea on Thursday and subsequently President Vladimir Putin declared war on Ukraine, but the 36-year-old has said he’s willing to take up arms to defend his country.
Stakhovsky lacks military experience, however he has revealed that he can handle a gun.
Посыл белоруским властям поддерживаю ✊🏻🇺🇦 pic.twitter.com/zhqK8kpgLT
— Sergiy Stakhovsky (@Stako_tennis) February 26, 2022
“Of course I would fight, it’s the only reason I’m trying to get back,” the four time ATP title winner told Sky News.
“I signed up for the reserves last week, I don’t have military experience, but I do have experience with a gun privately.
“My dad and brother are surgeons, they are stressed out, but I speak to them frequently – they sleep in the basement, none of us believed that this could happen, and yet it happened.”
The tennis world hasn’t been untouched by the events in Ukraine as former world No 21 Dayana Yastremska lived in the port city of Odessa and was forced to flee her country with her younger sister to France where she still plans on playing in the Lyon Open against Romanian opponent Ana Bogdan.
And Russian player Andrey Rublev wrote a message on the camera after his win in the semi finals against Hubert Hurkacz on Friday in the Dubai Tennis Championships simply saying “No war please.”
Fellow Russian, world No 1 Danill Medvedev also expressed his views on the war with Ukraine and called for peace.
“By being a tennis player I want to promote peace all over the world,” the 13 time title winner told reporters at the Mexican Open.
“We play in so many different countries, I’ve been in so many different countries as a junior and as a pro.
“It’s just not easy to hear all this news, I’m all for peace.”
Wimbledon’s decision to lift Russian and Belarusian player ban slammed as ‘immoral’
Wimbledon lambasted for giving Russian and Belarusian players the green light to compete.
WATCH: Roger Federer and ‘brother from a different mother’ Trevor Noah go on an epic adventure
Roger Federer and Trevor Noah enjoy the “ride of a lifetime”.
Full statement as Wimbledon reveal its verdict on Russian and Belarusian player ban
AELTC has finally announced its decision on the Russian and Belarusian player ban.
Gael Monfils gives career update: ‘Am I making a comeback? Or am I about to quit tennis?’
“I’m fine, I’m recovering, I’m not broken,” says Gael Monfils.
WATCH: Every winner from Carlos Alcaraz during his Miami Open victory over Taylor Fritz
Carlos Alcaraz didn’t make a single unforced error against Taylor Fritz!
WATCH: Rafael Nadal receives replica of Roland Garros sculpture, sets low-key goal for French Open
Rafael Nadal now has a replica of his Roland Garros statue in Manacor.
WATCH: Elena Rybakina ups the aggression to beat Jessica Pegula and stay on course for Sunshine Double
Elena Rybakina edges closer to joining an elite list.
‘Carlos Alcaraz tougher to face than Nadal, Djokovic, Federer and ahead of Big Three at the same age’
High praise for Carlos Alcaraz from Taylor Fritz.
Tennis umpire hit with lifetime ban for manipulating scoring in several matches
ITIA comes down hard on corrupt official.
Novak Djokovic gets good news for 2023 US Open and other tournaments in America
Novak Djokovic is set to return to the United States.