Stefanos Tsitsipas makes light of his infamous bathroom breaks, but keeps mum about vaccination status

Tennis News
Stefanos Tsitsipas arrives on court

Stefanos Tsitsipas managed to crack a joke about his lengthy bathroom breaks during a BNP Parisbas press conference, but he refused to reveal whether or not he had been vaccinated against the coronavirus.

The world No 3 hit the headlines at the Cincinnati Masters and the US Open when first Alexander Zverev accused him of taking his phone with him to the loo while Andy Murray said he “lost respect” for the Greek following his extended breaks at the hard-court Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows.

Tsitsipas insisted that he didn’t do anything wrong and felt he had been made a villain “for no reason”, but reports suggested the ATP planned to introduce a stricter bathroom break rule.

Tennis to introduce ‘Stefanos Tsitsipas bathroom break rule’ following Greek’s lengthy loo visits?

The Greek, though, made light of the issue during a press conference ahead of the ATP Masters 1000 tournament in Indian Wells.

“It’s very dry here. That is good for me because I sweat less, which makes for less bathroom breaks, which makes for fewer complaints. So a very good sign so far,” he said with a smile.

Stefanos Tsitsipas looking downcast

Tsitsipas also hit the news this year over his stance on Covid-19 vaccines he believes “it has not been tested enough” and felt “for us young people I think it’s good to pass the virus because we’ll build immunity”.

Explainer – Why Novak Djokovic and a host of star names could be banned from the Australian Open

The issue of mandatory vaccines was back in the spotlight this week as Melbourne authorities insisted players will need to be vaccinated to be granted permission to play at next year’s Australian Open.

The 23-year-old declined to reveal on Wednesday if he had been vaccinated, saying: “I’m sorry but I’m not able to provide any of my medical records.”

Latest