Tennis chief admits Wimbledon will not be ‘normal’ until 2022
Wimbledon will not be able to return to ‘normal’ until 2022 at the earliest, according to Micky Lawler, President of the WTA Tour.
After Wimbledon’s committee member Tim Henman told Tennis365 in November that plans are underway to stage the 2021 edition of Wimbledon in some format after it was cancelled for the first time since the Second World Cup last summer, Lawler has warned it won’t be in full colour as the world continues to battle the Covid-19 pandemic.
“The safest assumption is that the tour will be back to normal in 2022, but the aim is to be flexible,” she told The Mail on Sunday. “Wimbledon is the Mecca, I found the hardest part of last year was missing that. I think it’s too soon for Wimbledon to be fully normal (this summer), but I am really hoping that it will be as normal as possible.”
Lawler also praised the WTA Tour for getting events on in 2020, despite the huge challenges presented by the global pandemic.
“It is extraordinary,” Lawler told Forbes. “They (the players) travelled when other people didn’t, they took chances. And again, everybody banded together.
“The players have been phenomenal, patient with new technology requirements, patient with the testing. The testing is not easy and painless. It’s pretty intrusive and it’s aggressive. And they do not complain. They do what they have to do. And it’s every few days and sometimes every day. And there is no freedom.
“These are young women…and there is a reason why they’re among the top of the world at what they do. A star, a very talented musician, a very talented athlete.
“You can always see there’s something very special about these human hearts and souls who get to this level of competition.”
Boris Becker on what happens next for Alexander Zverev after a turbulent 2020
German legend Boris Becker is backing Alexander Zverev to win his first Grand Slam title in 2021.
Dominic Thiem dismisses calls for the Australian Open to be cancelled
US Open champion Dominic Thiem insists next month’s Australian Open should go ahead despite players being in quarantine.
Timeline of Andy Murray’s injury nightmare as he pulls out of Australian Open
Andy Murray is out of next month’s Australian Open here we look at the timeline of Murray’s injury troubles since 2017.
Andy Murray ‘gutted’ as he shelves plans to play at Australian Open
Murray has been unable to solve a quarantine conundrum.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal learn their fate in ATP Cup draw
Serbia will begin…
‘Really unjustified’ – Boris Becker leaps to Novak Djokovic’s defence over his quarantine pleas
Boris Becker believes world No.1 Novak Djokovic has come in for unfair criticism after writing a letter to Australian Open chiefs.
Umpire suffers heart attack as another Australian Open player tests positive for Covid-19
Spanish player Paula Badosa has announced she has tested positive for coronavirus during quarantine in Australia.
Laura Robson unsure about tennis future after third hip operation
The 27-year-old said her priority now is to live a pain-free life.
Andy Murray believes he can still play at the Australian Open as he plots return to action
Former world No.1 Andy Murray is still hopeful of playing in next month’s Australian Open.
Players are urged not to feed the mice in their hotel rooms as Heather Watson turns to Tik Tok
Britain’s Heather Watson has turned to Tik…