Two-time French Open winner Jim Courier says organisers at Roland Garros are ‘recognising their error’ at hastily rescheduling the tournament due to the coronavirus.
The tournament say its original dates in May wiped out by the outbreak of the coronavirus, which has put the world on lockdown as governments struggle to contain the spread of the disease.
Organisers did not hang about though, and took the tennis world by surprise by announcing they had rescheduled to September, much to the disarray of the US Open, players, and the Laver Cup.
“From what I’m hearing, the French Open has recognised pretty quickly the error of stepping on people’s toes without giving them enough warning,” Courier told The New York Times.
“I think there have been lots of discussions among the powers that be since then.”
World number 60 Pablo Cuevas has echoed the views of many players – not necessarily about what Roland Garros did by how they did it.
“I think the Roland Garros decision was a bit rushed, perhaps without asking the ATP from what I know,” he said.
“Also, it seems they didn’t take into account the rest of the tournaments, the rest of the calendar, it was something weird.
“Even more in this moment of solidarity, where we must have solidarity, it was something pretty selfish to go forward and set the dates without having any concern for the players and the rest of the calendar.
“All the players were a bit surprised.”
Basilashvili charged with domestic violence.
Tennis trio features in Nike ad.
NZ Premier League set to start on June 3.
Roger Federer not a fan of behind-closed-doors tournaments.
Dan Evans keen on competing in ‘amazing spectacle’ without fans.
Roger Federer taking it easy.
Roland Garros eager to avoid US Open clash.
Charleston to host invitational event.
Balkan region event to feature Djokovic, Thiem, Dimitrov.
ATP Tour is in good shape, says Marin Cilic.