The US Open could cause ‘a scandal” should they choose to hold the defy the coronavirus safety advice and hold the 2020 tournament, says Janko Tipsarevic.
Wimbledon cancelled last week due to concerns over the coronavirus outbreak, leaving the US Open the next Grand Slam on the tennis calendar.
However, whether that can go ahead will, and should, depend on how quickly the United States gets a hold of the Covid-19 spread, and Tipsarevic admits he has his doubts about whether they can do that in time.
“I wouldn’t still rule out the possibility of seeing a tennis ball being hit for the rest of 2020 but I consider the US Open a big question mark,” Tipsarevic told Sport Klub.
“I think the United States will be the hardest hit country by the coronavirus pandemic and it will be extremely hard to get the situation under control before the end of August, when the US Open is scheduled to start.
“You probably remember when Eugenie Bouchard fell in the locker room a couple of years ago, sued the US Open, won the case and got compensated a few millions dollars.
“Can you imagine a situation in which the tournament organizers decide to proceed with the US Open and a player contracts the coronavirus and has serious consequences. Just imagine that scandal.”
Novak Djokovic gives more info on Adria Tour.
Petra Kvitova not keen on majors without fans.
Novak Djokovic “fit and in good shape”.
Basilashvili charged with domestic violence.
Tennis trio features in Nike ad.
NZ Premier League set to start on June 3.
Roger Federer not a fan of behind-closed-doors tournaments.
Dan Evans keen on competing in ‘amazing spectacle’.
Roger Federer taking it easy.
Roland Garros eager to avoid US Open clash.