‘We will not reschedule for you!’ – The Laver Cup lays down law to French Open over coronavirus plans
The French Open has received a furious backlash from the Laver Cup after the took it upon themselves to cause a scheduling clash due to the coronavirus crisis.
Chiefs at Rolland Garros responded to the coronavirus outbreak with a shock announcement that the tournament has been switched from a May to September 20-October 4.
That means a direct clash with the Laver Cup, which is due to take place during the first week.
However, with the event already sold out, the Laver Cup have responded with strength.
“This announcement came as a surprise to us and our partners — Tennis Australia, the USTA and the ATP,” they said in a statement.
“It raises many questions and we are assessing the situation.
“At this time, we want our fans, sponsors, broadcasters, staff, volunteers, players and the great city of Boston to know that we intend to hold Laver Cup 2020 as currently scheduled.”
The French Open has also come under attack from the US Open and many players for their sudden decision, and is being accused of acting selfishly and independently when tennis should be working together,
Exclusive – Former British No 1 insists Novak Djokovic deserves more respect
Novak Djokovic deserves equal billing alongside Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
Wimbledon ranking points decision sparking angry reaction from players
The decision from the ATP and WTA…
Carlos Alcaraz ‘a different person’ as he prepares for second French Open
Carlos Alcaraz heads into the French Open…
Cameron Norrie wins Lyon Open for fourth career title
Cameron Norrie claims his fourth career title in Lyon.
Iga Swiatek relaxed as she returns to happy hunting ground
Iga Swiatek says she is prepared for the day her winning streak is broken.
Wimbledon doubles down on Russian ban despite stripping of ranking points
Wimbledon organisers said they ‘made the only viable decision’.
Peng Shuai latest: IOC says she is ‘looking forward to visiting Europe’
Peng’s safety and freedom has been a concern since she appeared to allege in a social media post that she had been sexually assaulted.
Novak Djokovic and Emma Raducanu facing huge rankings drop after Wimbledon decision
Djokovic is almost certain to lose his No.1 ranking.
Comment – Why the removal Wimbledon’s ranking points could backfire on the ATP and WTA
Wimbledon has been stripped of its ATP ranking points following the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.
Wimbledon didn’t want to ‘risk safety of players’ or ‘success being used as propaganda by Russian regime’
Wimbledon has hit back at the ATP and WTA with a statement of their own.