World No 1 Ashleigh Barty pulls out of US Open due to Covid-19 risks, yet to make French Open decision
The women’s world No 1 won’t feature at this year’s US Open after Ashleigh Barty pulled out of the tournament, citing the “significant risks involved due to Covid-19”.
The hard-court Grand Slam is set to get underway on August 31 at Flushing Meadows, but the coronavirus pandemic appears to be far from slowing down.
Organisers, though, have vowed to introduce strict health and safety measures to minimise the spread of the virus.
However, Barty says she is “not comfortable” putting herself and her team at risk and won’t travel to the United States for both the Cincinnati Open, which starts on August 24, and the US Open.
“My team and I have decided that we won’t be travelling to the US for the Western and Southern Open and the US Open this year,” the Australian said in a statement.
“I love both events so it was a difficult decision but there are still significant risks involved due to Covid-19 and I don’t feel comfortable putting my team and I in that position.
“I wish the USTA all the best for the tournaments and look forward to being back in the US next year.”
Tennis will move to Europe for clay-court swing after the US Open with the rescheduled French Open pencilled in for September 27-October 11.
Barty won the title last year after defeating Marketa Vondrousova in the final, but she is yet to decide if she will defend her title at Roland Garros.
“I will make my decision on the French Open and the surrounding WTA European tournaments in the coming weeks,” she said.
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Boris Becker reveals a Holger Rune attribute matched only by ‘benchmark’ Carlos Alcaraz
Boris Becker has highlighted a Holger Rune quality he feels only Carlos Alcaraz shares.
Ranking the best-ever individual prize-money seasons in tennis: Novak Djokovic peerless as he is only star to hit $21m mark
Novak Djokovic features six times in the top 10.
Former Wimbledon champion slams British press over ‘disgusting trial’ against Novak Djokovic
“The ‘trial’ that people have tried to bring against Djokovic is linked to the British press.”
Tiger Woods pays touching tribute to friend Rafael Nadal as retirement beckons for tennis great
Tiger Woods: “I don’t want to see Rafael Nadal go. I never wanted to see Roger Federer go, but that’s what happened.”
One of Novak Djokovic’s most iconic rackets is up for sale – but will it break Roger Federer’s record?
Novak Djokovic’s 2016 French Open racket is up for grabs, but will it reach the same selling fee as Roger Federer’s collection?
Novak Djokovic makes French Open admission about potential last Rafael Nadal showdown
Novak Djokovic has discussed the prospect of playing his last match against Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros.
Rafael Nadal looks set to play Australian Open as travel plans revealed in big comeback update
Rafael Nadal’s travel plans ahead of the 2024 season have been finalised, according to a report.
‘Jannik Sinner is a millimetre from Novak Djokovic – Nole fears him’, claims Slam winner
A French Open winner thinks Jannik Sinner has almost reached Novak Djokovic’s level.
Why the return of Sky Sports will provide a massive profile boost for tennis in the UK
Kevin Palmer explains why the return of tennis to Sky Sports will be good for the sport in the UK and Ireland.
Boris Becker highlights four young ATP stars ‘you will hear a lot from in the coming year’
Boris Becker has named the four leading young ATP players.