World No 1 Ashleigh Barty pulls out of US Open due to Covid-19 risks, yet to make French Open decision
The women’s world No 1 won’t feature at this year’s US Open after Ashleigh Barty pulled out of the tournament, citing the “significant risks involved due to Covid-19”.
The hard-court Grand Slam is set to get underway on August 31 at Flushing Meadows, but the coronavirus pandemic appears to be far from slowing down.
Organisers, though, have vowed to introduce strict health and safety measures to minimise the spread of the virus.
However, Barty says she is “not comfortable” putting herself and her team at risk and won’t travel to the United States for both the Cincinnati Open, which starts on August 24, and the US Open.
“My team and I have decided that we won’t be travelling to the US for the Western and Southern Open and the US Open this year,” the Australian said in a statement.
“I love both events so it was a difficult decision but there are still significant risks involved due to Covid-19 and I don’t feel comfortable putting my team and I in that position.
“I wish the USTA all the best for the tournaments and look forward to being back in the US next year.”
Tennis will move to Europe for clay-court swing after the US Open with the rescheduled French Open pencilled in for September 27-October 11.
Barty won the title last year after defeating Marketa Vondrousova in the final, but she is yet to decide if she will defend her title at Roland Garros.
“I will make my decision on the French Open and the surrounding WTA European tournaments in the coming weeks,” she said.
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Former world No 1 urges Australian public to give Novak Djokovic ‘another chance to explain himself’
“He was being a leader and it just came off wrong in the public.”
Ashleigh Barty happy to ‘knuckle down’ and get back into routine ahead of Australian Open
Ashleigh Barty ready for her big comeback.
2021 Australian Open prize money breakdown: Smaller cheques for winners, boost for first-round losers
A look at the 2021 Australian Open prize money.
Nick Kyrgios ‘very misunderstood’, but he will ‘always have your back’, says fellow Australian
“We’re almost brothers – pretty close.”
Changes made to ATP and WTA schedules to aid those affected by quarantine
Players will also be given priority for gyms and ice baths.
Boris Becker on what happens next for Alexander Zverev after a turbulent 2020
Boris Becker backs Alexander Zverev to win maiden major.
Dominic Thiem dismisses calls for the Australian Open to be cancelled
Dominic Thiem insists Australian Open should go ahead.
Timeline of Andy Murray’s injury nightmare as he pulls out of Australian Open
A timeline of Andy Murray’s injury woes since 2017.
Andy Murray ‘gutted’ as he shelves plans to play at Australian Open
Murray has been unable to solve a quarantine conundrum.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal learn their fate in ATP Cup draw
Serbia will begin defence of ATP Cup against Germany and Canada.