Alexander Zverev sends out a statement of intent after thumping win in Cincinnati Masters final
Olympic champion Alexander Zverev continues his sparkling form ahead of the US Open, as he crushed Andrey Rublev 6-2, 6-3 to lift his fifth ATP Masters 1000 title.
After a powerful display in a contest that always appeared to be destined to end with a Zverev win, he became the first German champion in Cincinnati since Boris Becker in 1985.
Zverev’s serving and groundstrokes were far too much for Rublev to handle, with the only glitch in his performance coming when he served for the match at 5-2 and double-faulted on break point to hand his opponent a glimmer of hope.
Yet he snuffed that out quickly by winning the next game and after beating Novak Djokovic at the Olympics, Zverev may now be viewed as his most threatening rival ahead of his attempt to complete a calendar Grand Slam by winning the US Open in New York.
“The first win I ever had on these courts was on Wednesday, four days ago, and now I have my first title here,” declared Zverev said in his on-court interview. “It has been an incredible week, a lot of great matches. It is an incredible feeling going into the US Open.
“I did not do a big celebration because I know how Andrey feels as well because we have been best friends since we were 11 years old and I know he is seeking his first Masters 1000 win, but it is going to come very soon I think.”
Zverev will now head to New York with his confidence at an all-time high and he may be a man to avoid in the draw for Djokovic and the other top seeds, with the win in Cincinatti lifting his ranking up to No.4 ahead of the injured Rafael Nadal.
Exclusive – Former British No 1 insists Novak Djokovic deserves more respect
Novak Djokovic deserves equal billing alongside Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
Wimbledon ranking points decision sparking angry reaction from players
The decision from the ATP and WTA…
Cameron Norrie wins Lyon Open for fourth career title
Cameron Norrie claims his fourth career title in Lyon.
Iga Swiatek relaxed as she returns to happy hunting ground
Iga Swiatek says she is prepared for the day her winning streak is broken.
Wimbledon doubles down on Russian ban despite stripping of ranking points
Wimbledon organisers said they ‘made the only viable decision’.
Peng Shuai latest: IOC says she is ‘looking forward to visiting Europe’
Peng’s safety and freedom has been a concern since she appeared to allege in a social media post that she had been sexually assaulted.
Novak Djokovic and Emma Raducanu facing huge rankings drop after Wimbledon decision
Djokovic is almost certain to lose his No.1 ranking.
Comment – Why the removal Wimbledon’s ranking points could backfire on the ATP and WTA
Wimbledon has been stripped of its ATP ranking points following the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.
Wimbledon didn’t want to ‘risk safety of players’ or ‘success being used as propaganda by Russian regime’
Wimbledon has hit back at the ATP and WTA with a statement of their own.
WTA statement as women’s body also strips Wimbledon of ranking points over Russian player ban
WTA also has harsh words for Wimbledon after stripping grass-court major of ranking points.