Daniil Medvedev on US Open positive coronavirus case debacle: ‘I actually had no contact with Benoit’
Daniil Medvedev insists he was not in contact with Benoit Paire before the Frenchman tested positive for coronavirus, while he also believes Kristina Mladenovic should have been allowed to play in the US Open women’s doubles.
Paire was withdrawn from the US Open on the eve of the tournament after returning a positive Covid-19 result, and players with whom he was in contact with were put in a “bubble in a bubble”.
Medvedev was rumoured to be one of those players, but the world No 5 dismissed the claims.
“I actually had no contact with Benoit. I don’t know how they check it. I think it’s by credential, and maybe I was in the same room with him,” the Russian said.
“So, after talking to USTA (the United States Tennis Association) and a doctor from the New York department, I think, they said, ‘OK, just do a test every day and you live normal. If we can call this normal.
“I have done maybe five tests, five negative tests, and I will continue to do them every day. It doesn’t bother me at all.”
Mladenovic and Adrian Mannarino were in contact with Paire, but both were initially allowed to compete with the former winning her opening match before going out in the second round.
However, things got a bit tricky after that as Mannarino’s match against Alexander Zverev was delayed on Friday due to confusion over contact regulations.
He was eventually allowed to play, but lost against the German.
Then a day later Mladenovic was prevented from playing in the women’s doubles alongside Timea Babos.
Asked about the lack of consistency after Mladenovic was withdrawn from the tournament, Medvedev replied: “Tough to say, because depends which contact did they have with him, how close they have been?
“Because of course if they did like – I don’t know. Usually we say three negative tests if you do them, then you are okay. I don’t know what is true and what is not true.
“I think they should have the chance to play if this is safe for everybody. So basically if they didn’t, maybe New York health department thinks it’s not safe for everybody, but if you ask my opinion, I think they should play. But my opinion doesn’t mean anything here (smiling).”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Exclusive – Former British No 1 insists Novak Djokovic deserves more respect
Novak Djokovic deserves equal billing alongside Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
Wimbledon ranking points decision sparking angry reaction from players
The decision from the ATP and WTA…
Cameron Norrie wins Lyon Open for fourth career title
Cameron Norrie claims his fourth career title in Lyon.
Iga Swiatek relaxed as she returns to happy hunting ground
Iga Swiatek says she is prepared for the day her winning streak is broken.
Wimbledon doubles down on Russian ban despite stripping of ranking points
Wimbledon organisers said they ‘made the only viable decision’.
Peng Shuai latest: IOC says she is ‘looking forward to visiting Europe’
Peng’s safety and freedom has been a concern since she appeared to allege in a social media post that she had been sexually assaulted.
Novak Djokovic and Emma Raducanu facing huge rankings drop after Wimbledon decision
Djokovic is almost certain to lose his No.1 ranking.
Comment – Why the removal Wimbledon’s ranking points could backfire on the ATP and WTA
Wimbledon has been stripped of its ATP ranking points following the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players.
Wimbledon didn’t want to ‘risk safety of players’ or ‘success being used as propaganda by Russian regime’
Wimbledon has hit back at the ATP and WTA with a statement of their own.
WTA statement as women’s body also strips Wimbledon of ranking points over Russian player ban
WTA also has harsh words for Wimbledon after stripping grass-court major of ranking points.