Decision to drop wheelchair tennis from US Open criticised by Paralympic champion Gordon Reid
Paralympic champion Gordon Reid has criticised a lack of consultation from tennis authorities after discovering on social media that the wheelchair competition had been axed from this year’s US Open.
The tournament is due to be held at Flushing Meadows from August 31 to September 13 but Reid is not invited.
Scotsman Reid, who has won four doubles titles at the tournament and twice reached the singles semi-finals, wrote on Twitter: “Massively disappointed to find out on twitter this morning that the @usopen plan on cutting wheelchair tennis from this years tournament.
“The wheelchair players have had ZERO communication or consultation from either the ITF or the Grand Slam around this decision.”
The former Wimbledon champion’s comments were echoed by the International Paralympic Committee.
President Andrew Parsons said: “The International Paralympic Committee is disappointed at the US Open’s decision not to include wheelchair tennis in this September’s event, a decision that has left a lot of the athlete community rightly upset and angered.
“We urge organisers to reconsider this decision which could potentially undo years of great work to promote and showcase the sport of wheelchair tennis.
“We appreciate that the Covid-19 pandemic has thrown up multiple challenges for sport event organisers all around the world, but such challenges should not be used as an excuse to discriminate against a group of players and not offer inclusive competition for all.”
“There has been tremendous progress in recent years to advance wheelchair tennis and promote inclusion, not least by USTA and at the US Open.
“However, just as we cannot have a situation where athletes are barred from a sporting events on the grounds of race, gender, nationality or sexuality, they should not be stopped from competing because they play in a wheelchair.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Naomi Osaka will not play at Wimbledon but she is preparing to return to the game
Wimbledon is set to begin on June 28 and Naomi Osaka will be missing.
Andy Murray insists his ambition is not dented after compressive defeat at Queen’s Club
The Scot was overpowered 6-3 6-3.
Wimbledon organisers defend online ticket sale amid complaints from fans
Vast majority of those applying had no issues.
Impressive Matteo Berrettini ends Andy Murray’s Queen’s Club comeback
Andy Murray was overpowered by Matteo Berrettini.
‘I’m just pleased to have come through,’ Dan Evans after easing into Queen’s Club last eight
British No 1 secured a two-set win over the Frenchman.
‘The goal is to prolong my career,’ says Rafael Nadal as he withdraws from Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics
Rafael Nadal opts to take an extended.
Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal may be a sign of what is to come
Kevin Palmer on Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal.
A list of Roger Federer’s defeats on grass. Can you name the 24 players who have beaten him on the surface?
A full list of Roger Federer’s 28 defeats on grass.
‘The tank is quite empty,’ says Kiki Bertens as she announces 2021 will be her final season
Kiki Bertens to call it a day.
‘This is not something I’m happy and proud about’ – Roger Federer gives his verdict after shock defeat
Roger Federer far from happy with his Halle display.