Eurosport’s magical Cube proves to be one of the stars of the opening day of the 2020 US Open
Broadcasters around the world are finding inventive ways of covering the US Open without being on-site at Flushing Meadow and Eurosport served up an ingenious way to bring post-match interviews to life.
With host Barbara Schett-Eagle unable to be in New York due to the Covid-19 restrictions, Eurosport displayed their augmented reality technology to beat top seed Karolina Pliskova after she won her first-round match against Anhelina Kalinina.
The magic of technology allowed viewers to see Schett-Eagle and Pliskova standing next to each other as they conducted their interview using a method that may well be the future of sports broadcasting long after the coronavirus crisis ends.
Eurosport today launched the new Cube for our coverage of the US Open and we were thrilled to welcome number one seed @KaPliskova as our first-ever guest in the mixed-reality studio with @Babsschett after her first round win. pic.twitter.com/MC5Wrk6g7i
— Eurosport (@Eurosport) August 31, 2020
What do you need to know about the Eurosport Cube?
What makes the Eurosport Cube unique?
• The Eurosport Cube brings together a variety of the latest technology for the first time, creating an interactive mixed-reality studio using augmented reality (AR) and enhanced graphics.
• With spectators outside the stadiums and experts required to be back home, the Cube uses this technology to transport fans into the heart of the action from New York.
• The Eurosport Cube will create a virtual world that remotely connects the players in New York with guests, hosts and experts from ANYWHERE in the world.
• The technology allows true interaction, while the players will appear physically in the Cube with a direct eye-line between guest and host.
Eurosport’s Cube: Fast Facts
• Eurosport’s Cube is the result of three years of research and development by Eurosport, White Light Ltd and Dimensions
• It is 4m x 4m and is made up over four million LED pixels
• Eurosport’s Cube can be constructed in a day, aided by an innovative auto-calibration system which speeds up the lens and camera tracking setup
• It includes a sophisticated tracking solution which allows the lighting to automatically follow the presenters in the space, which enables presenters to interact with AR graphics or props
• It utilises an innovative “virtual set extension” to extend the content outside the footprint of the physical LED video environment, placing the presenter and camera in a fully immersive 360° digital environment
The US Open from Flushing Meadows in New York will be screened on Eurosport across Europe in over 50 countries and territories, except the United Kingdom and Ireland
Follow Kevin Palmer on Twitter @RealKevinPalmer
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
‘We are also human,’ says Iga Swiatek after breaking down following exit from singles at Tokyo Olympics
An emotional exit from Tokyo Games for Iga Swiatek.
The Novak Djokovic steamroller reaches third round at Olympics as Serbian finds ‘a higher level of tennis’
Novak Djokovic four wins away from Olympic gold.
‘It was a tough match for us,’ says Jamie Murray after losing doubles at Olympics alongside Neal Skupski
No medal for Jamie Murray and Neal Skupski at Tokyo Games.
Tennis Top 10
Top 10 youngest ATP Tour title winners: Andy Murray celebrating with a kiss and Lleyton Hewitt quitting school
Your top 10 youngest ATP Tour title winners.
‘It’s amazing,’ says Carlos Alcaraz as he follows in Rafael Nadal’s footsteps by capturing an ATP title at 18
An ATP Tour title for Carlos Alcaraz at just 18.
‘I’m here for a good time,’ says Naomi Osaka after easing into third round at Tokyo Olympics
Naomi Osaka defeated Viktorija Golubic to reach the last 16.
Kei Nishikori identifies key features behind brilliant win over Andrey Rublev at Olympics
Kei Nishikori off the mark at his home Olympics.
‘I feel definitely a little bit refreshed and happy again,’ says Naomi Osaka after opening win at Olympics
Smooth start for four-time major winner Naomi Osaka.
‘A disappointing day’ for ‘erratic’ Ashleigh Barty as she crashes out of singles at Tokyo Olympics
Ashleigh Barty makes an early exit from Tokyo Olympics.
He’s done it! ‘I couldn’t be more proud of myself,’ says Cameron Norrie after winning maiden ATP Tour title
It’s a maiden ATP Tour singles title for Cameron Norrie.