Kei Nishikori a doubt for US Open after second positive coronavirus test
Former world No 4 Kei Nishikori looks set to miss the US Open after a second positive test for coronavirus.
The Japanese announced he had Covid-19 earlier this week, forcing him to withdraw from the Western & Southern Open in New York, but a second test shows he still has the virus.
With the Grand Slam starting on August 31 and two negative tests required to enter the bubble, Nishikori is running out of time to make it.
He will now stay in Florida in quarantine.
“Just a little update, I just took another Covid test and am still positive,” he wrote on his official app. “I have very minimal symptoms and am staying in full isolation.
“Next test will be early next week, at which time we will update you with more information. Thanks for all the messages and have a good weekend.”
A host of players will be missing from the tournament as they have decided not to travel due to the risks of coronavirus.
Defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal, reigning women’s champion Bianca Andreescu, women’s world numbers one and two Ashleigh Barty and Simona Halep and Australian Nick Kyrgios are among the highest profile names to withdraw.
The Western and Southern Open, which starts on Saturday, is being played at the same Flushing Meadows site, which has been turned into a bio-secure bubble.
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Exclusive – Tim Henman backing Emma Raducanu after her stunning return to form
Tim Henman has told Tennis365 that Emma Raducanu will stun the sporting world once again
Emma Raducanu blows past former World No 1 to reach last 16 in Cincy
Emma Raducanu was clearly the better player as she claimed her first win over a top 20 player since her US Open title run.
Andy Murray hit by cramps again Cameron Norrie scrapes battle of the Brits
Andy Murray claimed the opening set but Cameron Norrie saved nine break points and downed the former World No 1.
US Open wildcards: Venus Williams and Dominic Thiem handed slots
Williams, who won at Flushing Meadows in 2000 and 2001, will compete at the age of 42.
ATP Race to Turin: How things stand as tour rolls into Cincy
The ATP Race to Turin is getting tight.
Rafael Nadal cautious but excited ahead of ATP Tour return
Rafael Nadal says that he ‘has to be careful’.
Gael Monfils’ injury woes continue as he withdraws from US Open
Gael Monfils ruled out of another Grand Slam.
Emma Raducanu urged to stick with Dmitry Tursunov by former British No 1: ‘Her tactics were good’
Emma Raducanu and Dmitry Tursunov off to a good start in Cincy.
Simona Halep hits $40m mark in WTA career-prize money earnings, only behind Serena and Venus Williams
A look at where Simona Halep sits on some of the all-time WTA lists.
Exclusive – John Lloyd opens up on his broken marriage to Chris Evert
John Lloyd believes his marriage to Chris Evert was doomed to fail as the pair were simply too young and had the eyes of the world on them.