Kei Nishikori a major doubt for US Open after testing positive for coronavirus
Former finalist Kei Nishikori’s hopes of playing at this year’s US Open suffered a major setback after he tested positive for coronavirus.
The 30-year-old has not played competitive tennis since October last year due to an elbow injury, but was hoping to make his comeback at next week’s Cincinnati Masters.
However, he was forced to pull out of the ATP Masters 1000 event after returning a positive Covid-19 test and, with the US Open just two weeks away, it puts his participation in the hard-court Grand Slam in doubt.
“Hi everyone, I have some unfortunate news today. This morning while still in Florida, I got tested for Covid19 and tested positive. I will have to pull out of the Cincinnati tournament at this time,” the 2014 US Open runner-up said in a statement.
“Me and my team will get tested again on Friday, at which point I will have another update. I am feeling well and have very little symptoms, but will obviously be in complete isolation for the safety of everyone.
“We were planning to fly to New York tomorrow, but will obviously now stay in Florida. Next update will be on Friday.”
The US Open has already been hit by a number of high-profile withdrawals as defending champions Rafael Nadal and Bianca Andreescu, and Ashleigh Barty have all pulled out due to concerns over the coronavirus and travelling.
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Roger Federer sends his fans into a frenzy with Twitter post ahead of his return to action
Roger Federer fans are counting down to his return to action in Doha next week and his tweet teasing his return instantly became a big hit.
Iga Swiatek’s perfect week as she claims her second WTA title
Iga Swiatek won her second career WTA title with victory over Belinda Bencic in the final of the Adelaide International.
Jamie Murray says quarantine threat on tour means players must be ready to adapt
The doubles specialist plans to travel to tournaments in Mexico and Miami next month without knowing what to expect on arrival.
Battle of the Brits event is back and this time with spectators
The Battle of the Brits events were a huge success during the Covid-19 crisis and now they are set to return with spectators.
The only way is up for Naomi Osaka as she looks to replicate hard-court success on clay and grass
Oli Jefford on the world being Naomi Osaka’s oyster.
Britain’s strength in depth in doubles highlights quality of structure
British tennis may be wondering who can replace Andy Murray, but they have a very different story to tell in the doubles arena.
Rafael Nadal pulls out of his next event due to ‘ongoing’ back problem
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the ABN…
Lleyton Hewitt to be inducted into International Tennis Hall Of Fame
Former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt is the latest player who will be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Five of the best men’s matches at the Australian Open featuring Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Rafael Nadal, and more
The matches that made us sit up and take note.
Five of the best women’s matches at Australian Open featuring Naomi Osaka vs Garbine Muguruza, and more
Five of the best women’s singles matches at the 2021 Aus Open.