Novak Djokovic admits he is still undecided about US Open, but set to play three clay-court events

US Open
Novak Djokovic

World No 1 Novak Djokovic has again cast doubt over his participation in the 2020 US Open, saying the surge in coronavirus cases in the United States “are not playing into the event’s hands”.

The hard-court Grand Slam was given the green light to go ahead from August 31 to September 13, but the tournament will be staged without any fans while strict health and safety protocols will be introduced.

However, there has been a big increase in the number of Covid-19 cases in the country in recent weeks, raising concerns about plans to stage the US Open.

World No 2 Rafael Nadal earlier this week committed to the Madrid Open to throw the defence of his US Open title into question, and now Djokovic has also admitted he is uncertain about his involvement at Flushing Meadows.

Further doubts over Rafael Nadal’s participation in US Open as he adds Madrid Open to his schedule

“I still haven’t decided whether I will play in the US Open, the upsurge in registered COVID-19 cases in the United States and New York in particular are not playing into the event’s hands,” he told Serbia’s Sportski Zurna.

He added: “I plan to play Madrid, Rome and Roland Garros in September.”

Djokovic, though, says the United States Tennis Association’s attempts to get the sport going again has his backing.

“I fully support the USTA wish to hold tournaments in Washington, Cincinnati and the US Open, because it is very important for survival of many tennis professionals,” the 17-time Grand Slam winner said.

“Like everyone, we are going through economic difficulties. Personally, I don’t have that kind of pressure that the others feel and of course I understand them because vast majority need to play now and earn money.

“I salute to the efforts being made to hold tournaments, especially in the USA and in Europe, despite this big crisis, but there is a limit to everything.”

Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.

Latest