Rafael Nadal on US Open: ‘Going from hard court to clay would’ve been dangerous for my body’
Rafael Nadal has revealed that moving from the hard-court season to the clay-court season played a major role in his decision to skip the US Open as it would have been “dangerous for my body and my future”.
The world No 2 last week became the highest-profile male player to withdraw from this year’s US Open as he cited the coronavirus pandemic as the major reason for not defending his title.
However, the 19-time Grand Slam winner says the fact that the clay-court season follows directly after the US Open also had an impact.
The Flushing Meadows major runs from August 31-September 13 with the Austrian Open starting on September 7 followed by the Italian Open on September 21 before the red-dirt season draws to a conclusion with the French Open starting September 20.
“The health situation is the first basic inconvenience when making my decision,” Nadal said.
“The situation seems not in full control, so in this case, after consulting with my team, we decided to skip the US Open.
“Second, the schedule is challenging after many months without competing.
“Going from hard-court to clay, with hardly any time for preparation, is dangerous for my body and my future.
“Then, it is a matter of a personal spirit. The situation is as it is, and my spirit was not high enough to travel to New York and compete.
“If I am going to compete, all my senses have to be focused on competition to perform at my best, and it would have been difficult to achieve that.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Comment: Why Andy Murray needs to identify the positives in defeat against Andrey Rublev
A win against a top 10 player will kick-start Murray’s 2021.
Iga Swiatek keeps rising and has the potential to become a dominant figure on the WTA Tour
Oli Jefford on Iga Swiatek’s rise.
‘Tremendous player’ Kim Clijsters to resume her comeback as she accepts Miami and Charleston wildcards
Kim Clijsters set to feature in Miami and Charleston.
‘Motivated’ Garbine Muguruza shows fighting spirit as she beats defending Doha champion Aryna Sabalenka
Muguruza ends Sabalenka’s Doha title defence.
Andy Murray set to compete in Dubai and Miami events as he hints at playing full-clay court season
Andy Murray on his next few events.
Andy Murray shows real signs of promise despite defeat to Andrey Rublev
There were certainly encouraging signs for Andy Murray.
Angry Andy Murray loses to world number eight Andrey Rublev in Rotterdam
The three-time grand slam winner was beaten 7-5, 6-2.
ATP announces ‘Covid Protection Ranking’ amid ongoing restrictions
ATP announces new system and some tweaks to other systems.
WATCH: Turning his back on play, brilliant winners, racket smashing from Daniil Medvedev as he loses
Daniil Medvedev entertains, even when he loses.
‘I just don’t feel well here’ – Alexander Zverev’s Rotterdam woes continue as he bemoans early exit
Early exit for Alexander Zverev in Rotterdam.