Revealed: The stats that confirm Serena Williams was wrong to cry sexism at US Open
Serena Williams caused a huge stir when she claimed female tennis players are punished more often than their male counterparts during his thumping US Open final defeat against Naomi Osaka, yet the statistics confirm she was wrong to make that inflammatory accusation.
The furore caused by Williams’ belief that umpire Carlos Ramos was sexist as he handed her three code violations for clearly breaking the rules of the sport seemed hard to justify at the time and now a New York Times report has exposed her claims in graphic detail.
A chart listing all fines handed out in organisers of the four Grand Slam tennis events over the last decade confirms that male players have been handed financial penalties for their actions on 1,517 occasions, with female players punished just 535 times.
It provides conclusive proof that Williams was wrong to label umpire Ramos ‘a thief’ during her on court rant, which resulted in a $1700 fine.
Serena Williams said women were punished more than men in tennis matches & blamed sexism for why it happened. The sports media spread this claim as truth & cheered her for saying it. Turns out twenty years of tennis data shows men are penalized far more often. Data via @nytimes pic.twitter.com/Do4C28MVYa
— Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) September 15, 2018
Now there are suggestions that leading umpires may boycott Williams’ matches unless she apologies to Ramos, with her silence in the last week suggesting she stands by her accusation that she was a victim of sexism in the ladies singles final.
Senior umpire Bob Christianson has raised the prospect of umpires refusing to officiate in Williams’ matches, as belated support for Ramos has finally arrived.
“That’s the worst brouhaha I’ve witnessed in my 40-plus years of tennis officiating,” said Christianson. “What we’re looking for, we’re looking for an apology from Serena to the official or officials in general. And if we don’t get that, there might be a potential boycott of her next match.
“We’ve never had to go to this extent, but officials are scared. They’re worried what happened to Carlos could happen to them. You do your job and you’re condemned for it.
“We as officials have no spokesman or advocate for us and we’re not supposed to talk to the press without permission. So we have no way to get our point across. We’re completely muzzled.
“Sexism? I think that’s appalling. You reach a point in life, you have to make a stand. There’s no sexism here. She’s had blow-ups like this before, usually when she’s losing.
“And Carlos is one of the best in the world. He’s been tried and tested. He’s done 10 or 12 Grand Slam finals. He’s a gold-badge official.”
More from Tennis365:
‘I don’t give a damn. The circuit has become rotten,’ says Benoit Paire after Monte-Carlo Masters defeat
“I no longer have the spark,” says Benoit Paire.
Tennis Today: Andy Murray urged to ‘keep going’, Serena Williams dons a gown, glory for Lleyton Hewitt’s son
Tennis Today features Murray, Hewitt, Serena and Kyrgios.
Novak Djokovic mentally and physically ready as he prepares to get dirty again for glory on clay
Novak Djokovic set for 2021 clay-season debut.
The Monte-Carlo Masters: Cool facts and figures as Rafael Nadal chases 12th title in the Principality
Some cool info about the Monte-Carlo Masters.
‘Confident’ Rafael Nadal gives fitness update as he sets sights on ‘important part of the season’
Rafael Nadal says his “body is in good shape”.
Pablo Carreno Busta claims his first ATP Tour title on home soil
Pablo Carreno Busta claimed his first ATP Tour title on home soil after edging compatriot Jaume Munar.
Exclusive – Coaching legend Nick Bollettieri on the new tool that could transform the game
Slinger Bag has a huge role to play in tennis’ future, according to Nick Bollettieri.
World No 1 Ashleigh Barty is beaten in straight sets in shock defeat
Paula Badosa stunned Ashleigh Barty in Charleston.
Exclusive – Coaching legend Nick Bollettieri on the looming crisis in tennis
Nick Bollettieri believes tennis needs to rebrand.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal kept apart in draw for Monte-Carlo Masters
Djokovic has avoided early meeting with Nadal.