‘See you soon New York,’ says Novak Djokovic as world No 1 gives US Open a major boost
Novak Djokovic will compete at the 2020 US Open after the world No 1 confirmed that he will travel to New York for the Flushing Meadows double header that also includes the Western & Southern Open.
There were major doubts over Djokovic’s participation at the hard-court Grand Slam due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has resulted in strict health and safety measures as well as travelling restrictions.
Defending champion Rafael Nadal, women’s world No 1 Ashleigh Barty and a few other top stars had already confirmed that they would not travel to New York.
However, Djokovic has given US Open organisers a boost by confirming he will play in the Cincinnati event and the hard-court major.
“I am happy to confirm that I will participate at @cincytennis and @usopen this year,” he wrote on Instagram.
“It was not an easy decision to make with all the obstacles and challenges on many sides, but the prospect of competing again makes me really excited. See you soon New York.”
View this post on Instagram
I am happy to confirm that I will participate at @cincytennis and @usopen this year. It was not an easy decision to make with all the obstacles and challenges on many sides, but the prospect of competing again makes me really excited. See you soon New York 😃💪🏼 Drago mi je što mogu da potvrdim da ću se takmičiti na Western & Southern Open-u i US Open-u ove godine. Nije mi bilo lako da donesem odluku, pogotovo uzimajući u obzir sve prepreke i izazove, ali radujem se što ću moći ponovo da se takmičim na teniskom terenu 😃💪🏼
“During my career I have played some of my best matches at the USTA Billie Jean King National tennis center,” he said in a follow-up statement.
“I am aware that this time around it will be very different with all the protocols and safety measures that are put in place to protect players and people of NY.
“Nevertheless, I have trained hard with my team and got my body in shape so I am ready to adapt to new conditions.
“I’ve done all the check-ups to make sure I am fully recovered and I am ready to get back on court fully committed to playing my best tennis.
“I respect and appreciate everyone taking time, effort, and energy to organise these two events for the tennis players to be able to go back to their working field.
“Unfortunately for the players and the game itself, the current situation is not allowing everyone to travel and compete at the same level of risk.
“I hope the situation will change soon and we will all be back to doing what we love and do best.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Shock defeat for Andy Murray as he is beaten in Rennes
The Russian is ranked 42 places below Murray.
John McEnroe speaks for the first time about comments over Emma Raducanu’s Wimbledon exit
John McEnroe has insisted he has no…
Stunning TV figures for US Open finals confirm appeal of Emma Raducanu
The TV viewing figures are in for this year’s US Open and they confirm that more tuned in to watch the women’s final than the men’s final.
Emma Raducanu thinking about a return to the court after US Open heroics
Raducanu has admitted to still being on “cloud nine” after her stunning US Open victory.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp gives a glowing reference to Emma Raducanu
Jurgen Klopp has given newly crowned US Open champion Emma Raducanu a glowing endorsement.
Boris Johnson talks with Emma Raducanu and discusses growth of grassroots tennis
Jurgen Klopp and Jessica Ennis-Hill joined in with the widespread praise of the teenager from Kent.
Jurgen Klopp inspired by ‘talent of the century’ Emma Raducanu’s US Open win
The Reds boss was glued to his television on Saturday night.
A look at each area of Emma Raducanu’s game as she looks to build on US Open win
Raducanu’s return of serve is arguably her strongest asset.
Who claimed the most Twitter followers during the US Open? There is a big winner
New US Open champion Emma Raducanu has had a huge boost in her following after her heroics in New York.