The 2020 US Open is still on but ‘final, final decision’ set to be made soon
The United States Tennis Association (USTA) is set to make a “final, final decision” on whether or not go ahead with the 2020 US Open on Friday, according to journalist Jon Wertheim.
USTA confirmed in mid-June that the hard-court Grand Slam will go ahead as planned from August 31 to September 13, but it will be a closed-doors event with strict health and safety protocols to minimise the spread of the coronavirus.
However, doubts remain over the event and world No 1 Ashleigh Barty on Thursday became the highest-profile player to confirm that she won’t compete at Flushing Meadows this year.
The likes of world No 2 Simona Halep and fellow Grand Slam winners Angelique Kerber have also indicated that they are unlikely to travel to the United States.
Speaking before Barty’s announcement, Sports Illustrated senior writer Jon Wertheim revealed that the tournament is still on as things stand, but a final decision is still to be made.
“So far the US Open is on [but] we are going to have a final, final decision on Friday July 31st,” he told SI.com.
“Right now the concerns are not about the health and safety in the region, New York is trending in the right direction. The real concern seems to have moved to travel and that is why the Washington D.C. event was cancelled last week.
“Are all the athletes that are eligible going to be allowed to come into the US? What happens after they leave the US? Are they going to have to quarantine afterwards? Remember the French Open is starting to play in the last few days of September so if there is something like a 21-day quarantine when you go back to your home country that could be really problematic.
“Last week we reported that the tournament hotel was changed, the athletes will not be staying at the JFK Hotel, they will move elsewhere.
“But as we speak, the US Open is on. It is going to be very different from previous years. It is not so much the Covid situation on the ground in New York anymore, the real concern has shifted to travel of these international athletes.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
Exclusive – Barbara Schett insists Novak Djokovic had good intentions with his letter to Australian Open chief
Eurosport host Barbara Schett believes world No.1…
Former world No 1 urges Australian public to give Novak Djokovic ‘another chance to explain himself’
“He was being a leader and it just came off wrong in the public.”
Ashleigh Barty happy to ‘knuckle down’ and get back into routine ahead of Australian Open
Ashleigh Barty ready for her big comeback.
2021 Australian Open prize money breakdown: Smaller cheques for winners, boost for first-round losers
A look at the 2021 Australian Open prize money.
Nick Kyrgios ‘very misunderstood’, but he will ‘always have your back’, says fellow Australian
“We’re almost brothers – pretty close.”
Changes made to ATP and WTA schedules to aid those affected by quarantine
Players will also be given priority for gyms and ice baths.
Boris Becker on what happens next for Alexander Zverev after a turbulent 2020
Boris Becker backs Alexander Zverev to win maiden major.
Dominic Thiem dismisses calls for the Australian Open to be cancelled
Dominic Thiem insists Australian Open should go ahead.
Timeline of Andy Murray’s injury nightmare as he pulls out of Australian Open
A timeline of Andy Murray’s injury woes since 2017.
Andy Murray ‘gutted’ as he shelves plans to play at Australian Open
Murray has been unable to solve a quarantine conundrum.