US Open organisers make U-turn as wheelchair tennis is reinstated at 2020 tournament
Wheelchair tennis will be held at the 2020 US Open after organisers were criticised for excluding it from their initial plans.
International Paralympic Committee president Andrew Parsons last week revealed the decision had left a lot of competitors “rightly upset and angered” and claimed it could potentially undo years of work.
Scotland’s Paralympic champion Gordon Reid had criticised a complete lack of consultation after discovering the decision on social media but talks have since taken place over the past week.
A statement read: “The 2020 US Open Wheelchair Tennis Competition will be held in its traditional place on the US Open calendar at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center this September. The tournament will run from Sept. 10-13.
“This decision was made following multiple virtual meetings with a group of wheelchair athletes and the International Tennis Federation over the last week.
“The 2020 US Open Wheelchair Competition will feature men’s and women’s singles and doubles events and quad singles and doubles events, all with draw sizes similar to past US Opens.
“Wheelchair athletes will follow the same health and safety procedures as all players participating in the US Open and will be able to access the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center beginning on Sept. 7.”
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
‘They let me play despite positive coronavirus test,’ says Benoit Paire as he demands Roland Garros clarity
Frenchman confused by rules.
Greg Rusedski claims Novak Djokovic may lose his motivation one Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal retire
Is Serb’s shelf-life shorter than we think?
Benoit Paire allowed to play in Hamburg despite positive Covid-19 test
Rules in Germany meant Paire was deemed no longer to be infectious.
How a switch to a Babolat racket propelled Carlos Moya to French Open glory
Former French Open champion Carlos Moya has a story…
Mats Wilander backs Novak Djokovic to land French Open title after expressing Rafael Nadal concerns
Are conditions against Nadal this time around?
‘Roland Garros coronavirus situation worries me,’ admits top seed Simona Halep
Romanian admits concerns.
Stan Wawrinka parts ways with long-time coach despite ‘amazingly successful partnership’
Stan the man seeking a new direction.
‘I will be taking the rest of the season off,’ says Bianca Andreescu as injury nightmare continues
Injury continues to plague Canadian star.
Rafael Nadal is looking ‘beatable’ on clay going into Roland Garros, says Novak Djokovic
Will conditions hamper Spaniard?
Novak Djokovic describes Italian Open as ‘a great but challenging week’ after record Masters win
World number one in confident mood.