USTA pressing ahead with plans to host the US Open and Western & Southern Open
The 2020 US Open and Western & Southern Open are set to go ahead as planned with the United States Tennis Association (USTA) insisting that they “have developed a strong health and safety plan”.
Tennis is set to resume in August following a five-month break and the Flushing Meadows double header, the Western & Southern Open and US Open, are pencilled in for later in the month.
However, there were doubts over both events due to health concerns and fears that international players might be banned from travelling to and from the United States.
Earlier this week world No 1 Ashleigh Barty became the highest-profile player to confirm that she won’t compete at the US Open due to coronavirus fears while several other top players have indicated that they might not travel to the US.
USTA, though, have assured the tennis community that plans “remain on track”.
“The USTA continues its plans to stage the US Open and host both the US Open and Western Southern Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center,” a statement said.
“We remain confident that our top priority, the health and safety of all involved in both tournaments, remains on track.”
It continued: “We have developed a strong health and safety plan to mitigate the risk of infection within the contained environment comprised of the tournament site and player hotels.
“New York State continues to be one of the safest places in the country as it relates to the COVID-19 virus. Details of this health and safety plan will be released at a later date closer to the tournament.”
USTA spokesman Chris Widmaier also played down concerns over international travel.
“We also are making tremendous progress in international travel, not only for coming to New York but traveling from here to Europe and elsewhere. So at this moment, we are very confident we will be holding the two events in those scheduled dates,” he told The Associated Press.
Follow us on Twitter @T365Official.
British number one Dan Evans goes out at quarter-final stage at Queen’s Club
But Cameron Norrie books his place in the last eight.
Dan Evans has his run at Queen’s Club ended by Matteo Berrettini
Top seed Matteo Berrettini reached the semi-finals with a 7-6 (5) 6-3 victory.
Exclusive – Tennis needs to build ‘female workforce’ to reach a new audience
Judy Murray wants to see more women participating in tennis at all levels.
Naomi Osaka will not play at Wimbledon but she is preparing to return to the game
Wimbledon is set to begin on June 28 and Naomi Osaka will be missing.
Andy Murray insists his ambition is not dented after compressive defeat at Queen’s Club
The Scot was overpowered 6-3 6-3.
Wimbledon organisers defend online ticket sale amid complaints from fans
Vast majority of those applying had no issues.
Impressive Matteo Berrettini ends Andy Murray’s Queen’s Club comeback
Andy Murray was overpowered by Matteo Berrettini.
‘I’m just pleased to have come through,’ Dan Evans after easing into Queen’s Club last eight
British No 1 secured a two-set win over the Frenchman.
‘The goal is to prolong my career,’ says Rafael Nadal as he withdraws from Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics
Rafael Nadal opts to take an extended.
Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal may be a sign of what is to come
Kevin Palmer on Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon withdrawal.