Andy Murray explains reasoning behind Wimbledon withdrawal
Andy Murray says he decided to pull out of Wimbledon this year as he didn’t want to make the same mistake he made last year.
The two-time SW19 winner went into last year’s tournament at the All England Club with a hip problem, but made it to the quarter-final before being knocked out by American Sam Querrey.
He ended up doing more damage to his hip during his run and spent 11 months on the sidelines after undergoing surgery in January.
The 31-year-old made his long-awaited comeback at Queen’s Club a fortnight ago and then also competed at Eastbourne last week. He initially indicated that he would play at Wimbledon this year, but then made a U-turn on Sunday as he felt he wasn’t ready.
“I spoke to my team, my coach and the physio, after I finished press, sort of saying how I was feeling about things and kind of got their thoughts,” he told Heraldscotland.com.
“We’ve been speaking pretty much every day about who I’m feeling in terms of my hip and how I’m getting on physically. [On Sunday] I spoke with all of my team and my doctor as well, just to get his view on things.
“I was just sort of feeling that I was not ready and willing to play – not necessarily to take a chance. When I was getting asked about certain things, it was just quite unknown. I didn’t know how I was going to respond to playing five-set matches. I went through a similar situation last year when I went into Wimbledon.
“I didn’t feel good before Wimbledon last year but decided to play. I know how that ended up. There was a bit of that in the back of my mind as well, thinking like: ‘Let’s sure make sure I don’t make a mistake’. I’ve made progress in the last month which hadn’t really been the case for the last 10 or 11 months. I was going in the right direction. I’m putting myself in a situation that I haven’t been able to replicate in training or in practice recently. Which is a maybe a bit unnecessary to do that at this stage.”
As for the future, Murray is confident he will play at Wimbledon again and be able to compete against the best players.
“I believe I will be back at Wimbledon for sure. In terms of getting back to the top of the game, I am not basing that on ranking, I am basing that on how competitive I feel I can be against the best players in the world,” he said.
“I will make changes to my schedule and things to try and look after my body better. I will certainly not be having any ends to the season like I did in 2016 when I am playing and winning matches every single week and not stopping for a break. I will be making sure when I am training I am not putting lots of load through my body.
“I will be working hard but not killing my body in training blocks either. Providing I am smart with those things, I believe I will be able to compete. I feel there is still a lot more progress I can make physically from where I was before and during Queens in the last few weeks. So if I can get myself fit and healthy I believe that my tennis will get there and it won’t take that long to get back.”
‘Mr Novak Djokovic must be suspended. You don’t have the right to refuse testing’
Novak Djokovic under fire for refusing to provide a sample before one of his matches.
Former partner of David Nalbandian breaks her silence in explosive stalking and sexual harassment case
Nalbandian is back in the headlines once again after it emerged he is being sued by ex-girlfriend Araceli Torrado.
‘Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer always accepted defeat better than Novak Djokovic’, claims former star
A retired ATP star has weighed in on the GOAT debate and claimed “the true champion is seen in defeat”
Why Novak Djokovic’s young protégé Miomir Kecmanovic is a player to watch in 2024
Kecmanovic may only be ranked at No 55 in the current ATP list, but Kecmanovic looks ready to take his career to the next level.
Tennis legend backs Coco Gauff to win 2024 Wimbledon in Carlos Alcaraz comparison
A tennis legend would be surprised if Coco Gauff does not win another Grand Slam title next year.
Italian tennis legends and media forced into rapid backtrack after brutal Jannik Sinner criticism
Sinner’s decision to pull out of Italy’s Davis Cup squad for the Group Stage Finals in September was widely crticised by the Italian media
Carlos Alcaraz’s coach makes admission about watching ‘outrageous’ Novak Djokovic
Carlos Alcaraz’s coach Juan Carlos Ferrero has spoken about watching Novak Djokovic perform.
Renowned coach offers to make Emma Raducanu ‘bulletproof’ and help her win ‘again and again’
A coach who has worked with some huge names has made Emma Raducanu a bold offer.
Iga Swiatek’s praise for ‘undisputed leader’ Ashleigh Barty as she opens up about ‘great loss for the sport’
Iga Swiatek discusses how Ashleigh Barty’s retirement affected her career.
Novak Djokovic’s former coach predicts how long the Serbian can remain at the top level
Novak Djokovic’s former coach has discussed how long he can keep going and Jimmy Connors’ title record.