German tennis chief: ‘Wimbledon will be cancelled. There is no doubt about it’
Wimbledon will not take place in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic with German Tennis Federation (DTB) vice-president Dirk Hordorff saying playing at the All England Club in autumn “would be unthinkable”.
There will be no tennis until June 7 after the sport’s powers that be opted to cancel all tournaments due to COVID-19.
Although the campaign is due to get underway with the grass-court season, governing bodies have admitted that there are no guarantees that tennis will resume on June 8.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club confirmed last week that they would have an emergency board meeting in the next seven days to discuss whether or not The Championships should go ahead.
Hordorff, though, says the decision has already been made.
“Wimbledon has stated that they will have a board meeting next Wednesday and will make the final decision there,” he told Sky Sport.
“I am also involved in the bodies of the ATP and WTA. The necessary decisions have already been made there and Wimbledon will decide to cancel next Wednesday. There is no doubt about it. This is necessary in the current situation.
“It is completely unrealistic to imagine that with the travel restrictions that we currently have an international tennis tournament, where hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world would travel. That is unthinkable.”
Roland Garros organisers jumped the gun earlier in March as they announced that the French Open, which was due to start end of May, would be moved to September.
Their decision did not go down well with a lot of people, but Hordorff doesn’t think Wimbledon is not really in a position to reschedule the tournament due to conditions.
“Wimbledon has its own laws due to the lawn and the special lighting conditions,” he said. “Wimbledon was the only Grand Slam tournament many years ago predictive enough to insure itself against a worldwide pandemic, so that the financial damage should be minimised there.
“Of course Wimbledon also has enough reserves to last for several years. Wimbledon in the period of September, October, when nobody knows whether you can play, would be unthinkable due to the lawn situation.”
Patrick Mouratoglou’s academy accused of ‘giving substances’ to junior players amid Simona Halep saga
“I played at the Mouratoglou Academy. It is true, from a young age, athletes are given some substances.”
Andy Murray ‘proud’ as he snaps losing streak despite injury scare
“The last few months have been really tough on the court for me.”
Stan Wawrinka sends Rafael Nadal ‘danger’ warning and makes French Open claim
“He has won so many times at Roland Garros that he will always be the favourite.”
Jannik Sinner gives telling insight into his champion mentality with Australian Open revelation
“I immediately thought about how I could improve further. I asked myself why I ended up down two sets to zero.”
Juan Carlos Ferrero highlights difference between coaching Carlos Alcaraz and Alexander Zverev
“With Carlos, I was able to cook a player who already obviously had impressive characteristics.”
What Aryna Sabalenka’s shock Dubai defeat means for WTA Rankings battle with Iga Swiatek
Iga Swiatek looking comfortable at No 1 in the WTA Rankings after Aryna Sabalenka’s defeat.
Jannik Sinner asked if he is currently ‘the one to beat’ in tennis
Jannik Sinner names his four main rivals and talks about his world No 1 prospects.
Rafael Nadal gives big hint that he is ready to return to action after latest injury setback
Rafael Nadal looks set to return to action in a couple of weeks.
Naomi Osaka’s rivals warned she is going to be a danger – ‘People were too quick to get down on Naomi’
Tennis commentator “delighted” that Naomi Osaka has bounced back so quickly.
How Jannik Sinner’s title run after maiden Grand Slam compares to Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer
Jannik Sinner has ended the 23-year curse.