Rafael Nadal allays Covid-19 close contact fears after Matteo Berrettini’s Wimbledon withdrawal
Rafael Nadal is “feeling great” and has no concerns about Covid-19 despite spending time with Matteo Berrettini on the practice court before the Italian’s withdrawal from Wimbledon.
Last year’s Wimbledon runner-up Berrettini pulled out of the grass-court Grand Slam just hours before his opening match on Tuesday due to a positive Covid-19 test result.
The eighth seed was one of the pre-tournament favourites as he won the Stuttgart Open and Queen’s Club Championships ahead of Wimbledon.
“I have had flu symptoms and been isolating the last few days,” the Italian wrote. “Despite symptoms not being severe, I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone else involved in the tournament.”
Berrettini trained with Nadal on Centre Court before the tournament started and the Spaniard was asked after his first-round win over Francisco Cerundolo if he had any concerns.
“Difficult to be a close contact when you are outside, practicing outdoors [as] things are historically more difficult, but anything can happen,” he said.
“At the moment I am feeling great. No problems at all.
“The main thing is I feel very sorry for him because he was playing fantastic, winning two tournaments before Wimbledon started. He is a very good colleague on tour and I we know each other well. I know how sad he will feel today.
“Sorry for him. Wish him a quick recovery, he was unlucky the last couple of months without a doubt.”
There have been reports in recent days that players tested positive at the French Open, but were told to keep quiet while it was also put to Nadal that current rules state it is up to the player to decide if they want to withdraw after a positive test with Berrettini deciding it is best to pull out.
“At Roland Garros I don’t remember cases if somebody had a positive I don’t know. Honestly I don’t have all the information to have a clear opinion. I prefer not to talk about things that I don’t know about 100%,” he said.
“Here [at Wimbledon], if I am not wrong, Matteo had been sick for a couple of days. That is what one physio of the ATP Tour told me the other day, but I don’t know if the situation changed.
“The information that I had… if you have some symptoms it is up to you if you want to have a test or not. If you want to have a test and the test is positive you are out.
“But now you tell me if you are positive you can keep playing, [that] is something that I didn’t know.”
USTA draws more fire for appaling handling of sexual abuse lawsuit
The USTAreportedly attempted to have Pam Shriver’s evidence in a sexual assault case suppressed.
Ugo Humbert believes he belongs on court with big stars
Ugo Humbert has credited self-belief with powering his perfect record in ATP Tour finals.
Alexander Bublik makes radical threat to umpires after stunning Andrey Rublev disqualification
Bublik warns officials can be removed from tennis and replaced by electronic line calling.
Stan Wawrinka calls out Indian Wells tournament director Tommy Haas over practice ball gripe
Stan Wawrinka recently expressed his displeasure with the practice balls at Indian Wells.
Who is Frances Tiafoe’s girlfriend? Ayan Broomfield model and tennis player
Frances Tiafoe has been with girlfriend Ayan Broomfield for over eight years.
Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz appearance fees for Netflix Slam ‘revealed’
Rumoured appearance fees going to Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alacraz for Las Vegas showdown ‘revealed’.
Daria Kasatkina slams officials and calls for VAR over Andrey Rublev default
Daria Kasatkina feels her compatriot Andrey Rublev was hard done by at the Dubai Tennis Championships.
Horrible twist hits Jack Draper and denies him a chance to make a huge rankings leap
Draper was competing strongly with world No 9 Alex De Minaur in a high-quality semi-final contest – but it all ended quickly.
Nick Kyrgios gives his verdict on Andrey Rublev’s sensational Dubai disqualification
Nick Kygios responds as Andrey Rublev’s disqualification in Dubai rocks tennis.
Mega numbers confirm Rafael Nadal is hammering Novak Djokovic in the popularity stakes
Rafael Nadal has a total social media reach to over 50million.