Did you know? Ten facts about huge Liverpool fan Caroline Wozniacki
To celebrate Caroline Wozniacki’s birthday, here are some fun facts about the former world number one.
1. Wozniacki was born in Odense, Denmark, which is something of a hotbed for sports stars.
Other notable sportspeople born in Odense include Danish football legends Thomas Helveg and Lard Jacobsen, and Rike Moller Pederson, the current world record holder in the 200m breaststroke.
2. Wozniacki is a very talented linguist, being able to speak fluent Danish, English, and Polish, as well as a having a strong understanding of Russian.
3. In the 2011 Qatar Ladies Open, Wozniacky wore a Liverpool FC jersey signed by Reds legend and then-captain Steven Gerrard.
She is a self-confessed Liverpool nut – even though her brother supports Manchester United! “I wanted to be different,” she says.
4. She dated former golf world number Rory McIlroy before it ended in an especially brutal manner.
Six months after announcing their engagement in 2014, McIlroy ended the relationship after being spooked by the invitations gong out.
“The problem is mine,” he said “The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise that I wasn’t ready for all that marriage entails. I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we’ve had.”
5. Wozniacki and Serena Williams have developed a very close friendship since the Dane split with McIlroy.
Williams rallied around Wozniacki following the break-up by giving her a dose of fun therapy such as trips to the NBA finals, and partying in Miami.
When Wozniacki finished the New York City Marathon, Williams was waiting at the finishing line.
6. She is the daughter of Polish immigrants, Piotr Woźniacki and Anna Woźniacka, both of whom have fine sporting pedigree.
Anna played on the Polish women’s national volleyball team, and Piotr played professional association football. The couple moved to Denmark when Piotr signed for the Danish football club Boldklubben 1909.
7. Her older brother Patrik Wozniacki is a former professional footballer, though he now plays for amateur side FC Græsrødderne.
8. On February 14, 2017, on Valentine’s Day, Wozniacki announced on her social media accounts that she was in a relationship with former NBA champion and current San Antonio Spurs player David Lee, a relationship that is still going strong today.
9. She owns properties in Copenhagen, Miami, New York and Monaco – where she is a next-door neighbour of 12-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic.
The two have been known to practice extensively together when in the Principality.
10. Wozniacki is a self-confessed chocoholic, and after mentioning in an interview she’d like a chocolate company to sponsor her, Godiva stepped forward with a deal.
“Most athletes have a guilty pleasure,” Wozniacki said. “We work out so much, we need that sugar, and chocolate has always been my thing.
“I’m going to start at one end of the product line and try every single piece of different chocolate that they make.”
Sara Errani has serving meltdown, loses, shouts ‘f*** ***’, meanwhile Kiki Bertens leaves court in wheelchair
All in a day’s work at Roland Garros.
Serena Williams admits her 2020 season could be over after latest injury setback
Williams sustained the injury at US Open.
‘I’m struggling to walk,’ says Serena Williams as she pulls out of the French Open due to injury
Serena Williams OUT of 2020 French Open.
Deadly Novak Djokovic likened to a ‘snake suffocating its prey’ by French Open opponent
“At the beginning, it was just surreal,” says Ymer.
2020 French Open: Follow the action from Roland Garros with our live scores centre…
Catch the action with our live scores centre…
‘I would like to see Wimbledon go ahead with or without fans in 2021,’ says Andy Murray
Andy Murray hopes Wimbledon returns to 2021 calendar.
French Open day three: Mikael Ymer stunner against Novak Djokovic, and Mo Salah backing for Mayar Sherif
The story of the third day of action at Roland Garros.
Fernando Verdasco set to take legal action after French Open exclusion over Covid-19 result
“Do I want to sue Roland Garros? Yes, obviously.”
‘There needs to be a bigger pool of support,’ says Heather Watson as she calls for more help for British players
All six British players lost in first round at French Open.
Novak Djokovic: ‘I’m ready physically, mentally, emotionally to go deep in the tournament’
Nole produced a composed display at Roland Garros.