Did you know? Ten facts about huge Liverpool fan Caroline Wozniacki
To celebrate Caroline Wozniacki’s birthday, here are some fun facts about the former world number one.
1. Wozniacki was born in Odense, Denmark, which is something of a hotbed for sports stars.
Other notable sportspeople born in Odense include Danish football legends Thomas Helveg and Lard Jacobsen, and Rike Moller Pederson, the current world record holder in the 200m breaststroke.
2. Wozniacki is a very talented linguist, being able to speak fluent Danish, English, and Polish, as well as a having a strong understanding of Russian.
3. In the 2011 Qatar Ladies Open, Wozniacky wore a Liverpool FC jersey signed by Reds legend and then-captain Steven Gerrard.
She is a self-confessed Liverpool nut – even though her brother supports Manchester United! “I wanted to be different,” she says.
4. She dated former golf world number Rory McIlroy before it ended in an especially brutal manner.
Six months after announcing their engagement in 2014, McIlroy ended the relationship after being spooked by the invitations gong out.
“The problem is mine,” he said “The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise that I wasn’t ready for all that marriage entails. I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we’ve had.”
5. Wozniacki and Serena Williams have developed a very close friendship since the Dane split with McIlroy.
Williams rallied around Wozniacki following the break-up by giving her a dose of fun therapy such as trips to the NBA finals, and partying in Miami.
When Wozniacki finished the New York City Marathon, Williams was waiting at the finishing line.
6. She is the daughter of Polish immigrants, Piotr Woźniacki and Anna Woźniacka, both of whom have fine sporting pedigree.
Anna played on the Polish women’s national volleyball team, and Piotr played professional association football. The couple moved to Denmark when Piotr signed for the Danish football club Boldklubben 1909.
7. Her older brother Patrik Wozniacki is a former professional footballer, though he now plays for amateur side FC Græsrødderne.
8. On February 14, 2017, on Valentine’s Day, Wozniacki announced on her social media accounts that she was in a relationship with former NBA champion and current San Antonio Spurs player David Lee, a relationship that is still going strong today.
9. She owns properties in Copenhagen, Miami, New York and Monaco – where she is a next-door neighbour of 12-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic.
The two have been known to practice extensively together when in the Principality.
10. Wozniacki is a self-confessed chocoholic, and after mentioning in an interview she’d like a chocolate company to sponsor her, Godiva stepped forward with a deal.
“Most athletes have a guilty pleasure,” Wozniacki said. “We work out so much, we need that sugar, and chocolate has always been my thing.
“I’m going to start at one end of the product line and try every single piece of different chocolate that they make.”
Roger Federer makes a surprise appearance as Laver Cup gets underway
Casper Ruud and Matteo Berrettini gave Team Europe a lead as the Laver Cup got under way in Boston.
Explainer – Why Emma Raducanu did not get automatic entry to Indian Wells event
Emma Raducanu has not gained automatic entry to the Indian Wells Masters event next month.
Dominic Thiem responds after media snipes from his former physio
Dominic Thiem has issued a statement after he confirmed he has split with members of his backroom staff after a challenging 2021.
Big change in Emma Raducanu’s camp as she seeks to make key appointment
Raducanu is preparing to make big changes to the team she will be working with after confirming she is on the look-out for a new coach.
Emma Raducanu to be given ‘homecoming’ broadcast to toast her US Open win
The Lawn Tennis Association are set to give Emma Raducanu the welcome home she deserves.
Exclusive – Assessing Novak Djokovic’s legacy with one of the game’s leading writers
Novak Djokovic has always been fighting a losing battle in a popularity contest with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
Emma Raducanu could secure a place in lucrative end-of-season WTA finals
Raducanu could be on course to secure a remarkable place in the lucrative end-of-season WTA finals in Mexico.
Andy Murray eyeing up leap in the rankings after another win in Metz
Murray is one win away from a return to the top 100 in the ATP rankings.
Emma Raducanu confirms first sponsorship deal and plenty more will follow
The sponsorship opportunities are rolling in for…
‘Winning is what sport is all about’ – Andy Murray reacts to one of his best wins of 2021
The former world number dispatched the home favourite favourite 4-6 6-3 6-2.