Two-time Grand Slam winner Garbine Muguruza’s injury woes are still not over.
The Spaniard was due to play Anastasija Sevastova in the second round of the Rogers Cup in Montreal, but she withdrew on Tuesday as she is still recovering from an arm problem.
“Unfortunately I am still recovering from my arm injury from last week,” Muguruza said in a statement.
“I did everything I could to try and play here but unfortunately I am not ready and need a little bit more time. I will miss playing here and look forward to coming back to Montreal in the future.”
The former world No 1, whose only WTA Tour title success this year came at the Monterrey Open in Mexico, hasn’t played any competitive tennis since she lost in the second round at Wimbledon as she was also a late withdrawal from last week’s Silicon Valley Classic.
However, she is hopeful of making her return at the Western and Southern Open in Cinainatti next week where she is the defending champion.
Czech ends wretched run in US to make semis.
Feds wins all-Swiss battle on bust day in Cincinnati.
Australian barely noticing impact of new rule.
Romanian ready to seize Serena’s mantle, says legend.
Swiss legend showing now signs of slowing down.
World number one looking ominously good.
Wimbledon champion closing in on elusive title.
We recall when Andre Agassi did his ‘brat’ nickname justice.
Grigor Dimitrov produced a couple of up and down moments at the Cincinnati Masters.
The tennis community reacted to the controversial plans to overhaul the Davis Cup.