Kiki Bertens gets walkover into Italian Open semi-final after Naomi Osaka withdraws
Kiki Bertens is into the Italian Open semi-final after world No 1 Naomi Osaka was forced to withdraw due to injury.
Osaka, and the rest of quarter-final line-up, had to play two matches on Thursday after weather ruined play the previous day, and the Japanese player beat Dominika Cibulkova and Mihaela Buzarnescu in her two encounters.
By booking her place in the last eight, she ensured she would keep the world No 1 ranking for the French Open.
However, she never took to the court at Foro Italico on Friday as she pulled out due to a right-hand injury.
Naomi Osaka has been forced to withdraw ahead of her quarterfinal @InteBNLdItalia due to a right hand injury. Kiki Bertens receives a walkover into the semifinals.
— WTA Insider (@WTA_insider) May 17, 2019
The 21-year-old also struggled with an abdominal injury at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart in April, but returned to action at the Madrid Open earlier this month where she reached the quarter-final before falling to Belinda Bencic.
World No 4 and Madrid Open champion Bertens will face either Johanna Konta or Marketa Vondrousova in the semi-final.
More from Tennis365:
‘Real fortunate to get through,’ says Cameron Norrie after beating Frances Tiafoe at Delray Beach Open
Cameron Norrie continues great run at Delray Beach.
Strict Australian Open quarantine regulations announced and those who flout rules face heavy fines
Officials will come down hard on those who flout rules.
Tennis Today: Player in face mask U-turn, Rafael Nadal’s cousins following in his footsteps
Tennis Today features Osaka and Nadal.
‘I decided to stay home,’ says John Isner after pulling out of the 2021 Australian Open
‘It wasn’t an easy decision at all,’ says John Isner.
Kyle Edmund forced to withdraw from Australian Open due to long-standing knee problem
Kyle Edmund won’t feature at the 2021 Australian Open.
Rafael Nadal finding it ‘tough’ to ‘solve’ the Novak Djokovic puzzle on Australian Open hard courts
Nadal yet to find game plan to beat Djokovic in Melbourne.
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal backed to continue their dominance of men’s tennis in 2021
No changes at the top expected.
Simona Halep prepared for ‘mental’ challenges that daunting Australian Open quarantine period poses
Halep all set for quarantine period.
French star hits out at extra privileges given to Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams
Jeremy Chardy unimpressed.