Maria Sharapova calls pre-mature end to her 2018 campaign
Maria Sharapova has ended her 2018 season early as she wants to make sure she starts the 2019 campaign fully fit.
The former world No 1 was due to feature in the China Open from October 1, the Tianjin Open the following week and the Moscow Open, which starts on October 15, but has withdrawn from all three events.
The Russian has fallen to 24th in the world and she is set to drop further down the rankings given the fact that she won the Tianjin Open last year and won’t be able to defend her points.
“I was looking forward to coming back to Tianjin to defend my title but unfortunately I need to give myself time to recover from injury,” Sharapova said in a statement.
“I am disappointed that I won’t be able to play in front of all of the fans in Tianjin again and I hope to be able to play there in the future.
“I wish everyone at the tournament a successful five-year anniversary.”
Her team have confirmed that her next event will be the Shenzhen Open, which is due to start in the first week of January 2019.
It means the five-time Grand Slam winner finishes the 2018 season without a title while her last competitive game of the year was a last-16 exit at the US Open.
More from Tennis365:
Andy Murray believes he can still play at the Australian Open as he plots return to action
Former world No.1 Andy Murray is still hopeful of playing in next month’s Australian Open.
Players are urged not to feed the mice in their hotel rooms as Heather Watson turns to Tik Tok
Britain’s Heather Watson has turned to Tik…
On this day in 2014: Stan Wawrinka ends Novak Djokovic’s Australian Open run
The Swiss won a five-set epic to deny Djokovic a piece of history.
Novak Djokovic hits back at allegations of being ‘selfish, difficult and ungrateful’
Djokovic says he finds it tough to be ‘a mere onlooker’.
Australian Open boss defends ‘better deal’ for the likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams
Big-name players self-isolating in Adelaide.
Rotterdam Open boss reveals delight as ‘one of his all-time favourite players’ Rafael Nadal joins field
Rafael Nadal will return to Rotterdam.
Roberto Bautista Agut says quotes comparing quarantine to ‘jail, but with WiFi’ was ‘taken out of context’
Roberto Bautista Agut issues an apology.
More coronavirus cases linked to arrivals for Australian Open
Australian Open boss said the safety of the Victorian community will not be compromised.
Big boost for LTA’s innovation drive as it signs deal with UK distributor of the Slinger Bag
LTA signs deal with Framework Sports & Marketing Ltd.
Australian Open chief defends Novak Djokovic over quarantine note, saying ‘they were suggestions’
Craig Tiley jumps to Novak Djokovic’s defence.